Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 60kb mindblower

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It would seem their coding generates the textures/sounds rather than utilizing bmp's/wav's etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah, thanks Ross that's it. Cool. My daughter loved it. It mentioned in the credits that you can burn the soundtrack to CD as an MP3 or something. I'll have to chack it out. She wants to listen to it on her CD walkman.

I can't view it at all, some kind of error! ugh

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Missing dll

D3D8.DLL Oh well. -David

http://www.farb-rausch.de/

They *do* claim to have a soft synth embedded in the 60kb but I think there’s a soft synth in direct X which it probably "controls"

As 4 the graphics, well I suppose its all DX again the tiny file is controlling the thingamabobs of the gubbins in the waddyacallit
    Causing the foo foo vectors to transmogrify the bandwidth of the quake valves.

I stumbled upon this whilst looking for something totally different, there are other examples at the link plus a tiny applet for extracting the music as a .wav file, and they seem very generous with their baby!!!!

The music *does8 sound A1 I play it through a QUAD 405-2 with a pair of Eltax speakers...superb

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

<professor_eric_quote> the tiny file is controlling the thingamabobs of the gubbins in the waddyacallit Causing the foo foo vectors to transmogrify the bandwidth of the quake valves </professor_eric_quote>

Eric - you have a gift for explaining technology! You might have fun creating a website where you review new technologies & software with your insightful way of explaining things. (Besides fun you might get some free reviewers copies of hardware/software out of it).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

thanks a lot for posting this demo.

Yes, it's called 'demo', because it has been developed by a group of coders. They established their 'secret sience' before 1990, when we still have been on the DOS prompt. The limit had be set to 64 k because this was the standard RAM of the first PC's.

There are no tricks or compressions in it. It's pure coding. In addition, it **must** be real time rendering - one of the many prerequisites. Others are: text must be rendered on the fly, sound must be processed in real time using no codec etc, just plain code.

The most active group is located in Finland. They have fantastic coders.

What they perform is an art of it's own. I will check my libraries and post a link to the 'demo' site the next days.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens,
    "The most active group is located in Finland. They have fantastic coders." do you have a link please?

eve drawing prog
    Attached Files Attached Files

UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!
    UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I still don't believe it!!!

But aside from the staggering design and code, I guess this also demonstrates how powerful the DirecX technology has become, for the on-the-fly rendering. So thanks is also due to Microsoft. :-)

K
    www.graphics.com (columnist)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Do you know if such coding draws upon directX or other system technologies or is it more truly stand-alone.

Your posting above makes it sound like a coders challenge - to see how much they can get into 64k. Is it formalized as a competition or just done for fun?

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on November 21, 2002 at 18:31.]