Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Freelance work

I graduated with my Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts. I would like to do some freelance work and I am bidding on some projects on a couple of sites but don't seem to be getting any response. Pls give any advise on this. I have also redone my site so let me know what you think of it. Thanks.

www.staciablevins.com
    IP

some tempalte

Your portfolio should have much more samples. Please make templates. In case you have one, I can place it here Templates

Best regards,
    Charisma
    (48 years, turner from Ukraine)
    Best regards,
    Charisma
    (48 years, turner from Ukraine)
    IP

Starting out hurts. You might need to do a lot of work for pennies to increase and improve your portfolio. Have patience, design all the time (practice, practice, practice). Allow yourself to get bruised, learn from your mistakes, and get up with a smile and continue on. I've been doing this for years myself, and I'm far from where I want to be, however, I'm sure enjoying the journey.

Good luck!

gb
    http://www.artofgarth.com
    IP

I agree, you definately need more samples of your skill, and your portfolio needs to reflect the inner you (your passion).

I would suggest you browse the web and pick out several websites that attract your attention (be sure to choose sites with good navigation and information layout).

Then, just try to copy them. Or, take the general idea that site offers and make a completely new site. Make sure to remove their branding and text. Then you can display these "templates" as examples of your skill (but not as work you have done for clients).

You might also look at what other designers are doing with their portfolios, I can offer you 2 to look at.
    amymickle.com
    kmickle.com (this is my sister-in-law's site. she is just starting out, too)

Hope this suggestion will help you explore alternate approaches to your portfolio!

-Amy
    IP

It's one thing to suggest taking a look around to see what kind of designs attract your attention, but totaly another thing to suggest even remotely to "copy" some design, removing the branding and text etc... That IMHO is an infringment... period.
    IP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Then, just try to copy them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Every web page on the internet is Copywrite according to US Law. Even looking at one site and trying to achieve the same design without ever looking at the code is considered copying. Therefore, your advice is ill-fated and would set the poster up for a copywrite infringement law suite.

Is this actually what you have done, Amnibo/Amy? You are setting yourself up for a very big fall, if so.
    IP