Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone know if there is anyway to get around AOL's image compression? I am working on a site and it looks great on IE & Netscape but certain images look awful on AOL. Also, Does anyone know how AOL chose which images they will reduce quality to? I ask this because some images do look fine on Aol..Just Wondering...Thanks
    IP

Does anyone know if there is anyway to get around AOL's image compression? I am working on a site and it looks great on IE & Netscape but certain images look awful on AOL. Also, Does anyone know how AOL chose which images they will reduce quality to? I ask this because some images do look fine on Aol..Just Wondering...Thanks
    IP

hmm... haven't heard of this issue with AOL myself. Not surprised though if it is indeed an issue with their browser.

It sounds like it's worth checking into more... gonna do some searchin' on this and see what i find. You do the same ok? Start with AOL's site themselves, and read up on the 'specs' of their browser.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

AOL has an image compressor that "chooses" large image files to be further compressed, but leaves alone png's or animated gifs.

The info I've read on other websites is this: try making your jpegs into png's and try making gifs into animated gifs (even if there isn't any animation in them, just a few identical frames).

I've never tried this, but it seems to be the only way to get around AOL's photo psychosis.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP

Cool, Dale. thanks for the info. But, does all browers accept .png? Thanks again
    IP

Hey thanks for that info Dale, i wasn't real sure on that.

Not ALL browser can render PNGs yet, but most of the newer ones can. Your 'target audience' will make the most difference in this respect -- i.e. what browser they're using, and if it's the latest version.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

hey,
    I found out that aol compresses my images a few months back and i found a way to "undo" this here is how:
    1. click on the settings tab of aol main screen
    2. click on preferences
    3. click on Internet Properties(WWW)
    4. click on the graphics tab then "never compress graphics"
    vioula! lol j/k but i thought i should share this because i know it can be a pain!
    Ben
    digital-dreamsicle.com
    IP

Hey thanks Ben. I'm sure the AOL users here will appreciate that tip.

And welcome to the boards here too by-the-way. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

IP

Yes, Ben. Thanks for the tip. It work like a charm. I appreciate it.
    IP

I'm telling all of my AOL friends about your tip.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    IP