Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi,
    here an question from a satisfied CorelXara- and XaraX-user from the Netherlands.
    As many of you, I too am impressed by the possibilities of all the Xara-products.

However, I'm experiencing a problem when exporting XAR-text into GIF- and JP(e)G-formats. This is probably due to the fact that I'm doing something wrong but I can't see what! Is there anybody out there who can help me?

What is my problem?
    In CorelXara I make a simple text-file in Arial with the screen-quality set at Anti-aliased. In Corel It looks great, even after zooming in at 1000% percent or more. No problem.
    But, when I export the file to GIF (and I think I've tried all the options: optimized palette, error diffusion etc.) the result is a fuzzy GIF-file where all the sharpness is gone. The options I've used in this example are 4bits (16 colours), error diffusion, no transparancy. The same goes when I export it into an JPG-file (options: 100% JPEG quality, 96 DPI).
    After having read the FAQ-page at Xarazone.com I also tried Ctrl-K on the image before exporting it, as suggested, but the result stays very poor.

I'm sure Corel can do better than that, but I don't know how! What am I doing wrong here? Please help.

Thanks!
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga
    IP

Hi,
    here an question from a satisfied CorelXara- and XaraX-user from the Netherlands.
    As many of you, I too am impressed by the possibilities of all the Xara-products.

However, I'm experiencing a problem when exporting XAR-text into GIF- and JP(e)G-formats. This is probably due to the fact that I'm doing something wrong but I can't see what! Is there anybody out there who can help me?

What is my problem?
    In CorelXara I make a simple text-file in Arial with the screen-quality set at Anti-aliased. In Corel It looks great, even after zooming in at 1000% percent or more. No problem.
    But, when I export the file to GIF (and I think I've tried all the options: optimized palette, error diffusion etc.) the result is a fuzzy GIF-file where all the sharpness is gone. The options I've used in this example are 4bits (16 colours), error diffusion, no transparancy. The same goes when I export it into an JPG-file (options: 100% JPEG quality, 96 DPI).
    After having read the FAQ-page at Xarazone.com I also tried Ctrl-K on the image before exporting it, as suggested, but the result stays very poor.

I'm sure Corel can do better than that, but I don't know how! What am I doing wrong here? Please help.

Thanks!
    Regards, Albert G. Kubbenga
    IP

wrong conference:-)

Hello Albert

Please post this question in the Xara X Conference. There are many more people in that conference and your question has been discussed many times.

I am sure one of the members will have a good answer.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

IP

What size font are you using?

Fonts smaller than 12pt do not look as good in bitmap images as they do in vector formats. Larger type sizes do better.

Also, consider reducing antialiasing in XaraX when creating bitmap images of text. Antialiasing tends to make small objects (and small type) appear indistinct in GIF and JPG images.
    IP

Oops!

What I meant to say was export your text images with dithering set to "none". Error diffusion tends to make small fonts a bit more indistinct.

Reducing antialiasing DOES NOT help.
    IP