Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

As I mentioned earlier, I am more into textures than modelling at this time, so just tell me when you need some textures. If I finde the time I could try to make some easy shaped toys (like a ball or something [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] ), I have some ideas.

BTW, I like the idea of having a rocking horse in the picture, and some other "big sized" toys as well. I think they will fit in well as background objects, and even if you don't see them in the picture, they could be well used to cast shadows.

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Oh ya folks i forgot to mention something about image where these other toys are concerned...

We must keep in mind that these "other" toys are not the focus of the image/scene/story line. Right?

So with that in mind, we should be understanding ahead of time that they will most likely be made to appear as "background noise" for the scene.

How does this relate to our modeling?
    Simple... in folllowing one the unspoken rules of 3D design:

"If you can't see it in the final render, don't create it in the first place."

and this rule goes hand-in-foot with this one:

"For background objects that are not the main focus, create low-poly versions of the objects; to speed up everything."

Now... what we need to decide here is... are we going to follow these 3D design rules, and just how much (to what degree) are we going to apply them to our project.
    As modellers, we'll need to have this cleared/clarified/decided upon up before we can really get down to it.

Ok, I understand the need for models/toys, but how many and which ones do we need. We're kinda laying the foundation befor we know what we're building. Just because we have the idea doesn't mean we should start building yet, we're jumping ahead of ourselves. I could think we're making the scene with the ball on the right, the skate board in the front, the jack-in-the-box on the left, while Gary could see the skateboard in the back the ball on the left, etc. We need to come up with the final composition, with the camera angel, everything labled in the scene, etc, etc. This way no unnecessary modeling is done and we can make the scene with what we want instead of having to fit a hundred models into the scene! I hope I'm making sense and ya get my point! I'll c-ya late [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Also, since this is Ross's scene, I think he should be the one giving the final clear picture with everything he wants in the scene. Then we can volunteer for what we want to do!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Ok... i agree here..more clarity on the BG toys.

But... we DO need a scrabble board for sure.. and i've got that covered - if noone minds.

And if the texture people need a scan of the game board's details...i can provide that. It can be created from scratch (in Xara would be easy) using the scan as reference.

Ross... let us know about the final toy decisions, and let me know about doing the scrabble board please.

This is what Ross said further up the thread:

"Note it is our thanksgiving long-weekend here in Canada. I will be away. (I'm going to Prince Edward Island). When I get back I'm expecting some model-makers will have stepped up to the task and will have reported in on what toys they are going to make. (You can of course make more than one - we could have a great pile of toys in the scene or even a shelving unit full of them)."

For what it's worth

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

hahahaa... DOH!!!

How could i forget THAT?! I'm Canadian too! hahaa... wadaboob! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Know what?

I just finished a nice diplomatic tome about what this project is supposed to mean to the participants. Then I re-read it and said "wait a minute, I think Gary already said that".

As I've said before. I've been following the threads that relate to this project and the way I see it, the purpose of this exercise is to polish your chops or learn something along the way, not try to create a poster for the Next Final Fantasy flick. I also see Gary constantly getting out of the car to push start it.

Sure, we all see and visualise the final product in our own minds. But, the essence of this collaboration, is what everyone does with their own piece of the puzzle.

At this point, Ross asked for models. So I'm obliging him with this effort created with my pedestrian skills. It is my first serious model. I did it yesterday in Rhino and rendered it in Bryce. It may be a butt ugly clown, but it's a start for me and I learned from it. You can put up on a shelf and out of the light if you want.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also, since this is Ross's scene, I think he should be the one giving the final clear picture with everything he wants in the scene. Then we can volunteer for what we want to do! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    One last thing. Some of the threads that followed my list thread gave a me the distinct impression that the roster for this team project was already set in stone and I walked into a clubhouse without giving someone a password at the door. I've been posting to this forum since 1998 when it was I-US and always felt constructive input was welcome by anyone.

W
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack-in-the-box.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	4665  

Ok, not sure if someone was offended or insulted by what I posted (If you are, please speak up) but that's not what I intended at all!! I was just saying for the better of us all that we be a bit more organized and know exactly what's going to be in our scene so as not to have to fit 50 models donated by everyone here into one little picture. That way, you see, our very prized, good looking model (ex. Jack-in-the-box, very good by the way) that we spent some valued time on doesn't go to waste in the end.

And about Ross making the final "composition" (NOT the final RENDER), I think it's only right for him to do it, after all, he was the one that came up with this wonderfull idea and I'd hate for one of my ideas to be warped into something I didn't originally intend. I believe it was Gary who mentioned something about the winner of the sketch being the Overlooker or something seeing there idea was carried out correctly.

Anyway, just my thoughts, feel free to disagre

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Hi fellow colaborators! Great jack-in-the-box "W"! That etch-a-sketch will be great too Gary.

Forgive me if my understanding of how to work in 3d gets in the way. The way I see things is we have a sketch posted above as a rough guide. I see it as enough to get us moving towards a common goal. I believe the composition will depend very much on what toys are created. I imagine that final composition work will have some element of trial and error to it within a 3d program. Since I don't use any 3d programs I'm a poor candidate for arranging the scene. Of course when we know what the elements are, I'd be glad to help with ideas on the composition.

Given we have a guiding idea (as illustrated by my sketch) I thought the first step would be having some toys. Knowing what the toys are could get those of us who can contribute textures to work. Someone can then work to assemble those models into a scene. Hopefully all the toys created will find their place in the scene - but I think we are all able to recognize that the background's naturalistic jumble of toys is unlikely to 'showcase' particular toys. Rather it is the 'sum total' effect we are after. Mark is probably right that you don't need to go to town over detailing the toys. (Still, I suspect we will find other good uses for the toy models - ones that can ultimately feature all of them).

I think the kinds of toys you guys are volunteering to make sound wonderful! We probably need a few smaller scaled ones. (I know I'd love to see a Thomas the Tank Engine!).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>