Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Okay...

We have a winning composition...the bot spelling "Play with me" on the Scrabble board. This means, guess what? It's actually time to start working in our respective 3D programs and paint programs, and do the stuff we wanted to do in the first place.....not discuss the assignment, but rather to get into it.

I had an arm-wrestling contest with Sharon last night at our favorite pub, The Rusty BNC Connection. I won, she graciously paid for the sparkling mineral water tab we ran up, and I'm at the top of the structure on this assignment from here on in.

Please understand that I will be moderating the studio...I am not going to get into daily problems...a real studio would work it our by themselves. This does not mean I'm backing off in my handsome leather workstation chair (right, in my dreams). It means that I want to guide this production from a "how's the group doing?" instead of "How's the project coming?". I guess I'll be a "meta-manager" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

First things first. Ross, it is now your responsibility to put together a crew to help you. It's your vision, you worked hard at it, you calls 'em, okay?

PLEASE let's keep this thing going. Passage from "TRON": There are no problems; only solutions."

Let's get off on each others visions and energy, okay? I'll be checking in daily.

And let's make this the FINAL thread where we communicate and swap sketches and stuff.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Okay...

We have a winning composition...the bot spelling "Play with me" on the Scrabble board. This means, guess what? It's actually time to start working in our respective 3D programs and paint programs, and do the stuff we wanted to do in the first place.....not discuss the assignment, but rather to get into it.

I had an arm-wrestling contest with Sharon last night at our favorite pub, The Rusty BNC Connection. I won, she graciously paid for the sparkling mineral water tab we ran up, and I'm at the top of the structure on this assignment from here on in.

Please understand that I will be moderating the studio...I am not going to get into daily problems...a real studio would work it our by themselves. This does not mean I'm backing off in my handsome leather workstation chair (right, in my dreams). It means that I want to guide this production from a "how's the group doing?" instead of "How's the project coming?". I guess I'll be a "meta-manager" [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

First things first. Ross, it is now your responsibility to put together a crew to help you. It's your vision, you worked hard at it, you calls 'em, okay?

PLEASE let's keep this thing going. Passage from "TRON": There are no problems; only solutions."

Let's get off on each others visions and energy, okay? I'll be checking in daily.

And let's make this the FINAL thread where we communicate and swap sketches and stuff.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Getting started: What we have in the concept image above is a suggestion of how the image can come together. We don't have to concern ourselves with composition at this point - WE NEED TOYS! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Model makers need to build a variety of toys. Although I sketched some particular toys into the background - any good-looking toys will have their place. In this there is flexibility for the model makers to create toys that inspire them. You can match the complexity of the toy you create with your modeling abilities - challenging yourself. Or you can keep it simple - either way is okay. We need a pile of different toys! Kids have simple toys and they have complex ones.

I suggest that if you want to model, say a toy watering can, then you report in that that's what you are going to do beforehand. That will avoid having more than one version of the same toy. It might also help others to be inspired.

When we know what toys are being developed, the texture makers can get going - even before any models are created. A wide variety of textures are likely going to be required. We will have fun!

Someone is also going to have to get going on the lonely robot. We need a volunteer! I'm certainly not hung up on the robot style I had sketched. I rather liked the style Gary had started to develop. Let's say the robot needs to look playful - like a young child's toy - rather than scary-scary from some future world. I do believe it will be necessary for the robot design to look like it could actually move scrabble pieces or the image won't come together properly. The robot also needs to be capable of having an expressive 'face'. I tend to think the way to do that is with components in under a glass dome rather than painted-on smile/eyes.

We've got fun to do!

To give this project a long life after we are finished we can create a web page about it. We can show all the sketches leading to the final image and we can perhaps have a collection of textures/models that can be downloaded.

Note it is our thanksgiving long-weekend here in Canada. I will be away. (I'm going to Prince Edward Island). When I get back I'm expecting some model-makers will have stepped up to the task and will have reported in on what toys they are going to make. (You can of course make more than one - we could have a great pile of toys in the scene or even a shelving unit full of them).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross- I
    liked what Jens did with the robot, and because he sumbittewd a few of them, I think he's interested.

Jens, you want to model the robot, and tell Ross what format he needs. Please read his post.

I agree. EVERYONE start making background toys!

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Hello all,

I've been watching this process since it's inception from the sidelines for some time now and felt reluctant to participate (or comment in previous threads) for the simple reason that I couldn't commit myself at the time. That said, I can't resist the itch of inspiration that stems from this idea of a group project and it's potential result which, gauranteed, will look very cool indeed.

When Ross initially submitted his sketch the first time, I got excited because it was an excellent concept on more than just a modelling level. But, nuff said by me on that score and without ticking anyone off here, particularly those who have been assembled to create models for the composition, may I draw up a list of possible toy candidates for suggestion. For obvious reasons, some will be more complicated than others to model from scratch (if this is a stipulation, I can't remember), while others can be derived from primitives. For example, for some of the crew here, a Teddy Bear lying in an awkward postion may be more difficult to model (let alone, texture), than a wooden toy train made up of blocks (primitives).

TOY LIST (suggestions)

* Teddy Bear or Raggedy Ann(and/or other stuffed toy)

* Dolls (Barbie or Ken, GI Joe, little plastic green soldiers?)

* Boomarang

* Baseball glove and bat / Football basketball etc..

* Ball and Paddle

* Fire engine, dump truck, bulldozer, police car ... tin vehicles.

* Mechano set and/or Lego's (strewn about)

* Skate board

* Childs bicycle helmet

* Half filled box of Crayolas (lying down with a couple left nearby.

* Etch a sketch (with "Eat at Joes" written on it.. kidding)

* Slinky

* Hoola hoop

* Game Boy nintendo (?)

* Rocking Horse (ambitious)

* Plastic golf club set.

* Miscellaneous children's books (Dr. Suess or Nursery Ryhmes)

* Jacks and marbles

* Jack in the Box

At any rate, these are only here to stir the juices, and naturally, not everyone should create the same toy. So, as Ross has suggested, pick a toy which you choose to work on and "report" it in by posting to this thread. If one is chosen that you really wanted to do or do not possess the skills required to do something out of your means, then think of a toy you can do which no one has posted yet.

Lastly, and sorry if I missed this but, what format should the models be exported in? And,.. who and what (proggie) will it be rendered in.

Regards, Wayne

Gracefully backing out of the room a$$ first ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'd like to stay away from "Toy Story" toys, but as has been demonstrated, you got PLENTY of toys to choose from to model.

With 3D Explorer, and Crossroads, I don't think cross platform or cross application models will be a problem. I'm thinking DXF or 3D metafile for the exchange format, 'cause you can break these models down, and then texture the piece individually.

BTW, anyone who want s to fool with a model of the attached file, contact me.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	easketch.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	14962  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Me again,..

I'll try my hand at the "Jack in the Box"

... and try to have something up here to show soon. Is this OK?

W

Hey "W",
    I love the books idea. I collect children's books and I'd love to work on the covers.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

I will do a skateboard. If needed I can do more than one toy.

--Randy

Ok i'll start with doing these 3 for now:

Skate Board

Rubber/Soccer Ball

Paddle-Ball

Ok?
    We can also wait on the appropriate format too. We'll all have our original files even after we output them - if we've output to an non-compatible format.

I would tend to think that either of these would be ok for most any 3D app today (even some older ones):

WaveFront .OBJ
    3D Studio .3DS
    LightWave .LMO
    DXF (only if REALLY needed)

Let's decide on one of these ok? Unless some folks with older apps can't swing these: but DXF should at least be possible.