Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm playing, and learning, and hitting silly little mental blockages .....

My current fly-in-the-ointment is those 'All...' 'No...' 'Name brush colour' options in the Fill Properties tab under Edit brush, thats getting me.

Having read all I can I understand they provide controls on how the brush colour is permitted to change when in use. But things don't seem consistent.

Question: are they relevant at the brush creation stage or the brush application stage? By that I mean, would you set them at the time you create the brush, or at the time when you actaully apply the brush stroke to a path in your real drawing?

Or are they very dependant on what type of colurs you use in the creation of your brush, like local vs named colours?

I ask because they seem to change, and I can't get them to work the way I (misguidedly) think they ought to. EG I draw a line, set a certain brush onto it, nip into Edit, set No brush colours (believing that this will prevent the brush colour from being changed), Save the change, right click on colourbar, and lo the brush stroke changes colour.

When I set them at the creation stage they seem to change of their own free will, at the time of use.

I am sure this is a wonderful little feature that I may find a use for, but at the moment its a road block in my learning curve.

Anyway I think (hope) this may be quite simple, but at the moment its me that feels quite simple, but as someone said in a post I read the other day, you get a block on the most simple of things that seem so daft when explained.

Apologies to anyone who thinks they've seen this text before, I originally posted it on the end of an earlier thread, and everybody ignored it, so I thought it ought to get its own thread. So there!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Alan

I'm playing, and learning, and hitting silly little mental blockages .....

My current fly-in-the-ointment is those 'All...' 'No...' 'Name brush colour' options in the Fill Properties tab under Edit brush, thats getting me.

Having read all I can I understand they provide controls on how the brush colour is permitted to change when in use. But things don't seem consistent.

Question: are they relevant at the brush creation stage or the brush application stage? By that I mean, would you set them at the time you create the brush, or at the time when you actaully apply the brush stroke to a path in your real drawing?

Or are they very dependant on what type of colurs you use in the creation of your brush, like local vs named colours?

I ask because they seem to change, and I can't get them to work the way I (misguidedly) think they ought to. EG I draw a line, set a certain brush onto it, nip into Edit, set No brush colours (believing that this will prevent the brush colour from being changed), Save the change, right click on colourbar, and lo the brush stroke changes colour.

When I set them at the creation stage they seem to change of their own free will, at the time of use.

I am sure this is a wonderful little feature that I may find a use for, but at the moment its a road block in my learning curve.

Anyway I think (hope) this may be quite simple, but at the moment its me that feels quite simple, but as someone said in a post I read the other day, you get a block on the most simple of things that seem so daft when explained.

Apologies to anyone who thinks they've seen this text before, I originally posted it on the end of an earlier thread, and everybody ignored it, so I thought it ought to get its own thread. So there!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Alan

..But see the attachment. I think the first point is that the colours, ie local or named have to be set prior to the brush being created. The "no colours" option is a bit of a mysetry as you don't seem able to select it! Hope this helps
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!brush_colours.gif 
Views:	400 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	6848  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Good to see someone of your experience making the opening comment you did.

Not as clear an explanation as I had hoped for, but if I read between the lines I get the impression this is not a particularly useful feature and probably covers some obscure event that the designer personally thought worth including.

I see from what you said it appears to be a way of controlling how the 'colours you used' in the original brush design are open to modification once the brush has been applied. Maybe one day I might be clever enough to want to use named and local colours, but for the moment I really don't think I care. I just want the right colour in my designs, if its local/named so what. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Maybe someone from Xara may have more precise comments to make, the absence of which will confirm my suspicions.

Thanks anyway, I think I'll put that to rest and move on to more interesting things, like learning how to draw. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Alan

Hi Egg,

I've tried to duplicate the effects you have in the attachment. When I have "Named Colours" selected, even the local colour objects change. The same happens when I have "Local Colours" selected. The only setting that doesn't allow colours to change is the "No Colours" option, then nothing will change. I've tried every option I can think of, but it's either all or nothing.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Alan,
    Named colours are a very powerfull feature of Xara. They are not as complicated as they appear, and by making a named colour and shades of a named colour you can instantly alter an image that would take hours using local colours. Try it with a simple image first. It's well worth the little additional time it takes to name colours and shades thereof.

Soquili, I don't know why you can't reproduce the same effect. Are you sure you're making a named colour before creating the brush?

Egg

Name:	!named_colours.gif 
Views:	317 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	17119  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg, i don't if this subject is discussed before or not, but i will bring it up again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    How do you name a color and it is shade then apply the color change just like your train and BigFrank Van pictures.
    Egg Show me the way [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Name:	!named_colours2.gif 
Views:	305 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	8209  
    Egg

All of this should be covered in the XaraX tutorial video's. But heres my tupenneth worth

Name:	!col1.gif 
Views:	293 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	13496  
    Egg

Name:	!col2.gif 
Views:	305 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	2168  
    Egg