Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anybody have any experience with creating a web page/site in a text editor, then updating the code in a WYSIWYG program later? I'm interested in learning HTML by starting out in something like NoteTab Pro or even Notepad, but I was wondering if I would be able to move on to a program like Dreamweaver (as an example) and update pages without a lot of tweaking. Is it necessary to keep using the initial program for that particular site?

I also wondered which was the best program (either text or WYSIWYG editor) which allowed you to update live on the fly. I know someone who used FP2000, claiming that was the best program for that purpose, but I don’t particularly want to use it myself.

Thanks! Any feedback would be greatly ppreciated!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

Does anybody have any experience with creating a web page/site in a text editor, then updating the code in a WYSIWYG program later? I'm interested in learning HTML by starting out in something like NoteTab Pro or even Notepad, but I was wondering if I would be able to move on to a program like Dreamweaver (as an example) and update pages without a lot of tweaking. Is it necessary to keep using the initial program for that particular site?

I also wondered which was the best program (either text or WYSIWYG editor) which allowed you to update live on the fly. I know someone who used FP2000, claiming that was the best program for that purpose, but I don’t particularly want to use it myself.

Thanks! Any feedback would be greatly ppreciated!
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

When your html code is written in, for example, Notepad, you can open or import in wysiwygs.

I worked with FP2000, but it adds a lot of unnecessary stuff to your code and, well, I never liked it.

Dreamweaver offers more possibilities (java, flash buttons, you name it) and keeps your code fairly correct. In version 4 you can work with twinview, and see the result of your coding while you type it.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

The key test is "Can the tool round trip the page?" Ie does a tool *not* bend the html so much that it prevents other tools from editing it and/or cluttering the code?

Frontpage2000 is rumoured to be better than previous versions. Someone else can comment.

I use a combination of Textpad, Dreamweaver and Hotmetal. Textpad is a basic editor and has a few tricks like find/replace across multiple files. Dreamweaver supports templates but the code it adds is fairly unobtrusive; if I edit the editable sections of the page (ie those not driven by the template), it all works fine. Hotmetal is easier to use than DW in some ways, though not as powerful. But it has a cracking publish function; it will compare file dates on local and published files and just update what needs to go.

The professionals still (generally) sneer at DW etc, but as long as you know html you can keep a watch on what a wysiwyg tool does.

I would start with a freebie such as an old Hotmetal (beware of a few bugs!), plus an editor.

Good luck.

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

Thanks, Erik and Simon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I've read other posts here regarding the best programs, and someone else mentioned one called NoteTab Lite and Pro. Enough people have said good things about DW that eventually I'll get it; just can't right now.

BTW, Simon...in my searches on this subject, I saw a program that is supposed to update web pages according to the newest revision date in the web folder on your hard drive (i.e., only the most recent files get replaced; kind of like Windows Briefcase for web design), but unfortunately, I can't remember what it was called or where I saw it. Just out of curiosity, I might look for it again.

This has been great and a real help. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    IP