Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

OK, I am new to photoshop, well any graphics program period. I do have experience with autocad though - 8 yrs worth.
    So, I am using photoshop 6.0....

When I create new things that have drop shadows or some sort of glow to them...How do I make them ready for posting on the web?

I use frontpage 2002 as my page creator, but every time I insert a pic that I have stored from photoshop, it always looks bad...for instance, the glow looks more solid and the shadows do as well...plus there is a big white border around it...What am I doing wrong and how can I create web ready images?
    I normally save my creations in either jpeg or png if that helps any...

Any help would be appreciated.
    IP

OK, I am new to photoshop, well any graphics program period. I do have experience with autocad though - 8 yrs worth.
    So, I am using photoshop 6.0....

When I create new things that have drop shadows or some sort of glow to them...How do I make them ready for posting on the web?

I use frontpage 2002 as my page creator, but every time I insert a pic that I have stored from photoshop, it always looks bad...for instance, the glow looks more solid and the shadows do as well...plus there is a big white border around it...What am I doing wrong and how can I create web ready images?
    I normally save my creations in either jpeg or png if that helps any...

Any help would be appreciated.
    IP

Here spl, have a read on this:

http://photoshopgurus.info/intermedi...ent-gifs.shtml

That should help answer your questions.
    But if you have any others after going through this tute, just ask.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Thank you for the reply Mark..............

I have used that method explained within the link. I have always used the "Save for web" option. The problem is:

When I create any text or anything else within ps that utilizes drop shadows, and then I save them with "Save for Web", it always makes the drop shadows solid black and looses the "shadowy" look of it.

Cna I just create the entire web page in PS and then use it as the background in frontpage? If so, How can I create it so that it does not "tile" the image in the background?
    Meaning, should I create a background in ps utilizing a very large pixel rate and then add in the site content at 800 x 600 pixel rate? Then save the entire graphic and use as the backgtround for my frontpage page? By using this method, I am able to retain the drop shadow appearance I am looking for.

I know that some sort of adobe web software (Illustrator) would be the optimal choice, but I haven't had the chance to learn that one yet - although I do have it. So, how can I make it work in frontpage? For the time being?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
    SPL
    IP

SPL...

Don't ever use an entire image to represent your whole Web page. That would be a huge download, and if anyone had images turned off, they wouldn't see anything of your page.

Illustrator is not what i'd call a "Web" application. I'd call XaraX that before i'd call Illustrator that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    And in any case, it's not any better a choice than Photoshop for what you need here.

Glad to hear you use the methods mentioned in that tute. However, it sounds now like all you need to do is use the "Matte" option within the "Save for Web..." export window.

Turn off your image's BG layer, then go to save out your image, with it's shadow. Within the 'Save for Web...' window, on the upper middle right side, open the "Matte" dropdown menu and choose "Other". Then in the colour palette window choose the colour that you'll be using on your Webpage containing this specific image.

This should resolve your problem.

If not, let me know.

"The lessons to be learned, are found along the path of your journey, not at your final destination. That is only where you will rest, between lessons"
    IP

Thanks, I will try that...but what if my background in my webpage is not a standard color or is a pattern? What should I do in that case? It would be kind of hard to find a matchnig ,atte in a pattern wouldn't it?
    I apologize for all the questions, but I am trying to learn all that I can. I am planning on getting more involved with photoshop as time permits, but I just have so much on my plate right now. I work a full time job as a network support technician and I have my own business designing house plans and small time websites...and I am studying for my real estate license.....if you could suggest a great book for a "beginner" in photoshop, what would it be?

Again, thank you for all your help......
    IP

No problem spl...

I'm not really "up" on all the PS6 books out, sorry. Perhaps go to Amazon.com and read some reviews of various books.

It makes no difference at all what your BG colour is, just use it for the Matte of your gif. If you're using an image for the page BG or a pattern, then use the median colour value -- open the bg image/pattern into Photoshop and blur it 32 pixels. Then use the eye dropper set to single pixel and find out what the rgb values are, then use that for the Matte.

This is not an exact science though... the colour & complexity of the BG image/pattern will usually dictate how you decide on the Matte colour.

If you know where abouts the gif image will be sitting/placed upon the BG image/pattern (in the Web page), then set it up like that in PS. Create an Alpha Channel of the main image to be the Gif, and save the image out. Now you can use the Alpha Channel to dictate the transparency in your gif.

Oh, and i think i forgot to mention this before... but avoid using the PNG format too much, or at all at this time. It is not fully supported by all browsers and their multiple versions yet. You could end up with visitors that will only see the textual content on your page, and no images.

IP

I have read a few books. Inside Photoshop6 by Gary Bouton is impressive and very understandable. Although in the first part you get a load of theory, it is mixed with exercises and tricks and never becomes boring. His info on setting up PS is unique, and works flawless.
    I also read Ben Wilmore's Studio Techniques. A very good book to know more about the how's and why's. I also read the PS Bible by Deke Mc Lelland. This goes deep, deeper, deeper, but is not really for a beginner.
    But, as Mark says on his site: the help files of PS are great, and if you're a registered user, you can find a lot of practical info on the Expert center at Adobe, most of all the QT movies by Deke Mc Lelland.
    And the best is to try out the tuts you find in the beginner's section at http://photoshopgurus.info .

Success.

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.
    IP

Thank you for the info...I will be checking those out!!
    IP