Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Yes it's true! PC Pro have a trial version of XaraX on their Cover Disc.

Everybody go out and buy PC Pro just to reward them for this magnificent thing they have done... no don't read this any further, just go. GO NOW!

(you shouldn't be reading this far...)

Michael Ward</p>

Yes it's true! PC Pro have a trial version of XaraX on their Cover Disc.

Everybody go out and buy PC Pro just to reward them for this magnificent thing they have done... no don't read this any further, just go. GO NOW!

(you shouldn't be reading this far...)

Michael Ward</p>

so it does!

I am a subscriber, but I never noticed. Shows how much I take note of cover CDs. Have not loaded this one yet, probably due to buying XaraX this month and not having so much spare time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The little internal article fails to do justice to Xara. I think they could have devoted a page or two as they sometimes do. Never mind - its a small step in the right direction, Xara deserve all the help they can get. Since their Computer Concepts days, Charles and Kate (is he still on board?) have always tried very hard to produce high quality software, and their departure from the Acorn scene is something I've always felt sad about, so its especially good to see them making some headway in the big-boys world, and absolutely no surprise whatsoever that XaraX is as good as it is.

'cept I have not used it for the last hour [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

too much of this typing lark [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Alan

Alan

My other half much prefers Acorn machines to IBM PCs and always has done. He was saying only the other day that CC are still going strong. In addition I've just found the CC web site and Kate is still associated with them, at least she's listed on the Contacting Us page. The date of updating on the site is something like 21 April this year!!! In case you wish to visit the site, the address is:

http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/

Incidentally Michael, XaraX is also on the magazine disc of Computer Shopper (not surprising really since they are both published by the same company). It's also on the cover CD of the Computer Buyer. In fact, it looks like it may be doing the rounds of the magazine cover disks doesn't it?

Tracey

[This message was edited by TraceyP on May 06, 2001 at 04:49 PM.]

Tracey,
    Thanks for the link. Seeing the old Artworks logo again bought back memories! Also glad to hear your other half is still sticking with RISCOS. I must admit to missing this great operating system which in my opinion still knocks windows into a cocked hat. (I miss the put window to back icon the most!)
    On the other hand I find it suprising that Artworks is still retailed at just below £100. I actually received an offer to upgrade my copy of Artworks to XaraX, in the post a couple of days ago.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Tracey - Thanks for that - I did go and have a look, but despite the date on the home page being fairly recent the date on the Current Software Developments page stands at a disappointing June 1996. I am pleased to see they still appear to be existing but suspect that Xara is paying most of the wages bill.

Don't get me wrong, I still use !Style almost daily, !Draw !drawPlus and !Artworks are also regular favourites. And you can't beat RISCOS for stability. Once booted it'll stay with you till shutdown, unlike Windows.

Yes I had already noted Kate's appearance as she's on the Xara contact list performing the same role, but Charles?..... (Divorced?) Its just that back in the old Acorn days, references I remember were always to both Kate & Charles; maybe he has moved onto something else.... I seem to remember seeing them as a couple at an Acorn User show once.

Egg - I agree that !Artworks price does seem a tad high. I got my copy secondhand from a very good gentleman who was very good in writing to CC to let them know he had sold his copy to me thus enabling me to register my ownership with them, and subsequently receive a nice little discount on my purchase of XaraX. Little did I realise the innocent act of being a good boy and registering Artworks would bring such benefits 3-4 years down the line.

One other completely unrelated observation. Do you have to be over 50 before you don't care about admitting your age? I note we three are, yet so often I browse to contributors profiles and find the DOB field blank. That said however I note that Michael is just 18! Good to see the next generation providing this forum with a wide age spread of opinions.

Alan.
    Alan