Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's nice to see some 2d raster programs beginning to support higher end image formats.

What I'd really like to see is a professional bitmap editing program (such as Photo-Paint or PhotoShop) with support for HDRI formats.

PP10 rules! I downloaded the demo from tucows a few days ago and haven't been able to keep my hands off it since. Love the Effects, the Light Studio, the Paint Studio, the Undo controls (more sophisticated than Painter's) and best of all, the Mask Paint tool. Its use of Objects rather than layers threw me at first, but I get it now (mostly).

cheers

I think it is somewhat humerous that so many of the "top" apps are only now coming out with all of these features when Uleads Photo Impact has had them all along.

Object/layer management, multiple undo's, effects galleries, slicer and image optimizer...on and on we could go...

Don't get me wrong here, I am an owner of Webtricity 2 and truly love Simply 3D, in fact this may be one of the little unknown secrets in the 3D text world, oh it does more than text, but it really shines in this area...

But for all other vector/raster work Photo Impact kicks...Put it this way, it accepts most every plugin and is like PSP on steroids...

give it a try and you will become a PI fanatic in no time... http://www.ulead.com

After I installed the demo version, the "find on page" (crl-f)function in IE 5.5 stopped working as did the "search>for files or folders" function of W2K.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled twice just to make sure. I have been using PP8 for several years now and never touch anything else ('course I don't do much bitmap stuff).

A very strange quirk.

Ich bin ein New Yorker
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

Hello,

The PP that I downloaded would not install on my comp. It must have been corrupted. I'm looking for a reliable site since I hear so much about this app. Photo Impact IS a great app dispite that it doesn't support PS effects when you open a .psd file, OR, you can only use the effects on an image and not put them on a layer by themselves. Plus, you have no control over the effect when it IS applied to an image such as positioning it just the way you want it, brightning it, dimming it, streching, or shrinking it... But, it's still cool considering it's no Photoshop (But then again, what is?).

Anyone know of a reliable link for the PP demo, let me know. Thanks for your time.

RJ (The Post-man)

Hey, Hey,RJ...too bad about the download bit...really, I have PP v8 and since this thread I have gone back into it to see what if anything that I have missed along the way...wow, I have spent way too much time on only a few apps and not enough time fully tring out all the bells and whistles offered by many...with not fully experiencing just what PP had to offer, well I am not sure exactly why I didn't dig deeper...perhaps it is the fact that the default layout did not show as much right from the git go as does say Photo Impact...perhaps it is because Windows Draw seemed to be rather old fashioned in layout and appearance that I really did not give PP too much extra thought...and what a drag...I agree with DK in that the lighting effects and so many other presets are actually really cool...and that's just in v8, I really am curious to se just what they have to offer in PPv10...sooo, I agree in that Picture Publisher can offer some pretty nifty tools for anyone looking for such....which is basically all digital artists alike...cool app... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Now then, Photo Impact... RJ, when you are going to apply an effect through the "easy pallette" simply right click on the thumbnail of the effect you are choosing and a pop up will appear that will allow you to tweak the effect the way you wish...as for objects and layers, all things brought out on to the canvas become objects which are essentially layers in the up down positioning area of things, and if you click on one you can appy most effects directly to the object...if you are working on a pic, simply select an area with the Standard Select Tool, be it rectangular, circular, eclipse, square...or use the magic wand, or bezier....anyways select the portion you wish and cop and paste, now you have a "layer" object of that area for tweaking.....soften the edges and blend it right in to the original...on and on it goes...no matter the tools, once ya learn where they are and how they work your off and running... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]and for the money spent RJ, it really provides quite a bit for the buck...and as I use the many features it offers, I must say it is about time that many other apps are only now coming out with file browsers and such..It's not that this app really lacks much in any area, but rather knowing how to utilize the app itself...for the most part PI allows you to do things much quicker than several others that should have the same capabilities but really and truly don't...ya know though, there really is not one app out there that does it all, not even PI... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I am really begining to love them all...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Since putting windowsXP on my comp I have been able to download the demo of Pic Pub 10 again. I'm still unsure if I wish to buy but I imagine in a few months when funds are better (I hope) I will splurge [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .... it has some great things and will be another tool which will allow different things to be created just because it works differently. This is one of the neat things about software .. they can lead to different ways to make things just as paint versus ink pens can lead to different creations.

Like picture publisher, Photoimpact works with "objects" and not layers. This method has it's good points but layers have good points in other ways. But I think you should look again and do what gidget suggested and you'll see the amount of controls that you can tweak an effect with in PI. There are some things that need improvement for version 8 but that's true all software.

Anyway this link to the picpub10 demo worked for me

http://www.micrografx.com/resources/evalsoftware.asp

I noticed Corel is displaying micrografx's desinger 9 on the front of their site (since the bought out micrografx) .... maybe they won't axe these apps after all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

Thanks guys,

I will try this new link. Gigit, I have some questions about PI, so, I'm going to the PI forum, ok?? Thanks again. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Later guys,
    RJ (The Post-master) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

i recently bought a new computer with an ATI graphics card. my picture publisher program worked fine with it until i started using the effects filters. my program would terminate often when using those filters. in the pp read me it is documented that there are problems with ATI cards and that updating the video drivers are recommended. this did not help with my card. after updating the drivers, i still had the same problems. anyhoo, i swapped my ATI card with a Voodoo 3 card from my old computer and the problems went away. this is the only complaint i have for the pic pub program.