Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has anyone "imbedded" the Xara nav bars in virtual site builder? I am using the ivenue.com engine to create my website. The Ivenue platform uses "literals" to add code to existing html. i would appreciate any comments from anyone familiar w/ this topic.

CheersVirtual Site Builders i.e. Ivenue - Menu Insertion

Has anyone "imbedded" the Xara nav bars in virtual site builder? I am using the ivenue.com engine to create my website. The Ivenue platform uses "literals" to add code to existing html. i would appreciate any comments from anyone familiar w/ this topic.

CheersVirtual Site Builders i.e. Ivenue - Menu Insertion

hi Nigel,

never even heard of that one. so no I can not say I have. Should be easy enough tho... just cut and paste the call to the menubar in.

Sorry, I am almost a complete idion when it comes to programming code. I do have Frontpage, but opted for a virtual WYSIWYG engine instead. I did not understand the word "call" as laid out in your reply to my post. I tried to determine the start and end menu script in the Frontpage "html" mode and did not see any of my links. The menu and links work fine in "preview" mode, but the code part may as well be "pigeon english" to me. I guess I thought that I should be able to see the links in html.
    Incidentally, shouldn't there be some script that goes in the head and some in the body? Please help!

Hi Nigel,

Front page is about as close to slinging code as grabbing something from Mcdonalds is fine french cusine. In my humble opinion, Front Page sucks monkey turds! I know I wasted money on it once. Front page and all other bad webpage design tools aside...

You should look for a line of code that looks something like this...

<script src="xaramenu.js"></script><script menumaker src="nameofyourproject.js"></script>

Replace "nameofyourproject.js" with the whatever you called your menu when your saved it. If you saved your project as yourmommawearsarmyboots, then the file name will be "yourmommawearsarmyboots.js". The file "nameofyourproject.js" holds all the varibles, the file "xaramenu.js" needs to create your menu. Depending on where you slap the code in your page, determines where it will show up on the page.

I am still completely lost. Lets assume for a minute that I did not have frontpage, which I must agree is not a good choice of editors. How would I be able to see the script that I would need to drop into a virtual site builder. BTW, I have saved the file which has an html and what looks like a javascript component. I can view the nav in my browsers w/o any trouble. Another question, does this file need to be published somewhere else? The nav is pulling the info off my hard drive. This doesn't help me when the site builder sits on a server somewhere else.

Cheers

okay... I think I understand your problem. Is this "virtual site builder" a web site you go to and "build" your webiste? If so... then hang it up. MM will not work with this garbage. You are stuck with the template you bought.

I have some swamp mud I do not own, but will gladly sell you... for only 390 mil... Small unmarked bills please...

Thanks for the reply. While I am not tech savy, I can assure you that this platform is not one of those cheap engines. Anything that you can do in dreamweaver can almost be done w/ this software. It is absolutely amazing. Last night I found and uploaded the javascript file and the accompanying html. to the "file manager" I believe that I may be able to call it up using the tag line u provided. BTW you ought to use this platform sometime, u'd be pleasant surprised.

Cheers

hi Nigel,

Do you have a link to the site? I sling my own code and even dreamweaver is too limiting for what I need to do. My website building tool is wordpad. If the scripting language can handle it, or be made to handle it, then I do it. Sooo... I am a bit prejudiced against these types and even against dreamweaver.

Once you learn to paint freehand, one has trouble using a paint by numbers set, or a coloring book. If you understand my analogy.

John,

What kind of sites do you create that can't be done in Dreamweaver?

I'm not a web designer (which is pretty obvious... ) but having looked around many designer's sites (and other forums) trying to find a local one to design a database driven site for me; I would have to say that most use DW, and tweak the code (in DW) by hand, afterwards.

Nigel uses ivenue.com.