Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Astrolabe

This a recreation of actual tool used in the XIIIth century to mesure the stars hieght from the horizon.As you guessed it, it is called an Astrolabe.

Sorry if the picture is to big but I started to lose to much detail if I made it any smaller.
    Thanks,
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	astrolobe2.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	15636  

This a recreation of actual tool used in the XIIIth century to mesure the stars hieght from the horizon.As you guessed it, it is called an Astrolabe.

Sorry if the picture is to big but I started to lose to much detail if I made it any smaller.
    Thanks,
    David

Cool astronomy tool! I'm an amateur astronomer and the antique tools are of interest to me. Nice job! I've seen some replicas made of brass and bronze.
    ---Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Maya, I actually uploaded the wrong version of the astrolabe I wasn't quite done with this one. there is normaly an outer circle. but oh well, this one is almost the same.Does this look like rusty metal or rock to you?
    thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave! This first version resembles corroded metal--maybe like a pewter type metal, or in some ways stone. Is there another version you meant to post??? Since you mentioned "rust" is why I ask, this version doesn't look rusty to me.
    ---Maya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

that's great! I was trying to get an old pewter metal look. I didnt want it to look like rust or rock. thanks
    I just posted it in the Xara gallery under "stars of the 13th century."