Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am looking at buying the Sony HMD-A200L 17" Trinitron. Is anyone out there using this? If so are you satisfied with it? It's about as high end as I can go at this point in time.

I am looking at buying the Sony HMD-A200L 17" Trinitron. Is anyone out there using this? If so are you satisfied with it? It's about as high end as I can go at this point in time.

Deb

The latest PC Magazine has a feature on flat screen monitors that have falled dramatically in price over the last year. The 15" monitors which have almost the screen size as a 17" are now selling for $500 and under.

I have a SONY monitor on my DELL system although it is an OEM with DELLs name on it so I have no idea what the actual model number is. I have not had any problems with it except trying to get a color profile for it. DELL has not a clue what color profiles are and SONY does not offer support for OEM (original equipment manufacturer) equipment not bearing the SONY logo.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

believer oh be smut

Here is a link to Sony's spec page for this monitor if anyone once to comment. Doesn't look to bad although the lack of a swivel base is odd.
    http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...0l_specs.shtml
    A google search only turned up pricing that was over the MSRP which is odd also.

TANSTAAFL
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

I have a Trinitron 17" and it works fine; I bought it 3 years ago. However, I believe all trinitrons have two faint horizontal greyish lines across the screen (each a 1/3 from the top or bottom of the screen). These are metallic wires which "stabilize" the display. After a while you get used to them and they becomes "invisible".

RAFFON may be fimiliar with this company CTL, which is based here in the Portland metro area (Beaverton) which produces flat screen monitors which are priced very well. I'm not sure how you would order one.

A colleage of mine who also contributes to this and other talkgraphics forums, Earl, just bought one last week. He does high-end photo editing and 3D work (uses Lightwave). Earl is VERY happy and VERY impressed with his new monitor. I don't think he'd mind if you emailed him for his opinion ... EAWilson@BrwnCald.com.

USD$299 = CAD$458 as of today. The MRP here is $549. I'd sure like to know the explanation for that. With tax it's $626.

John, they are just rebranded. Might be Sony might be Dawoe (sp?), just whatever is available for the spec and pricing structure they want.

bcdeb,
    Go to shopper.com and check for monitors. Its a good place to check to see who has what and what's on sale.

TANSTAAFL
    W.K. Clark

If it's a Daewoo (sp!) panel, I suggest to stay away from it.
    I had three (!!) TFTs with these panels (18") in a row (one bought, the other ones replacements) every which had a different problem. Meaning the panel had problems.

I switched to a Compaq with another panel and I am very happy now.

Wolfgang

P.S.: Trinitron monitors do actually have those wires, and personally I find them quite disturbing ...

Are they just rebranded? That would surprise me. They said that they would do the maintanance and repairs right there - which, combined with their logo on the monitor led me to believe that they manufactured them. I'll have to ask them about this... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Either way, rebranded or not, I've never seen a monitor with such crisp, vibrant colors, as the 19" CTL flatscreen (crt) that I recently purchased from them ($299). Nor have I ever seen a monitor that could compare as far as the internal menu and memory chip goes. Most major brands that I've seen (Sony, Phillips, ViewSonic) fail to remember your settings for different resolutions properly. I'm also rarely pleased with the color quality of a monitor...most seem dull (even with the settings tweaked).

When my old monitor died, I was pretty worried that I wouldn't be able to find something that I liked... My best advice: go somewhere local, so you can actually play with the monitor in person, and see the color quality, vibrance, and digital controls.

Yep, if you don't have the Plug and Play monitor checked in display properties, it should give the real brand name after Windoze checks and does a new hardware found. CTL is just a clone manufacturer although a large local one. I personally don't care for their products because I just like different and IMHO higher quality components then they use. Its all a matter of opinion.

TANSTAAFL
    W.K. Clark