Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: extensions

Is there a difference between .htm and .html? Because i use dreamweaver and by default it saves everything as .htm
    cheers
    chuck
    IP

Is there a difference between .htm and .html? Because i use dreamweaver and by default it saves everything as .htm
    cheers
    chuck
    IP

Generally speaking, you'll usually be safest if you always make your "index" or "default" page extension ".htm". Your other pages can be html.

I'm not going to go into a lot of detail on this right now - i'm working - but any problems you might have because of this would be server software based; nothing to do with browsers or visitor's operating systems.

Check your preferences in DW. I believe you can tell it NOT to do this. Also... when creating a page/site and using any scripting at all, you may see DW do this if you've told it to be as backward compatible as possible.

TIP: all browsers look for an "index" file first by default. MS browsers can also look for a file named "default". By i've seen this only rarely now adays. "Index" is usually used; i.e. "index.htm".
    This is what allows folks to NOT have to type the name of the first page of a Website in the url. By default, and for simplicity sake, the first page is usually named "index".

Hope that helps.
    IP

Hmm. Well yes and no, Mark. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you happen to be on a IIS server you're correct, as the hierarchy goes : default.asp default.htm index.htm index.html.

However, if you're on an Apache server it goes index.html, index.htm.

FYI: the difference emanated from Win 3.1 days when DOS could only handle 8.3 filenames-8 letter name/3 letter extension(oh! how I remember those days!)

FWIW: W3C has never advocated .htm

cfn ... Jen
    Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    cfn ... Jen

Jen Worden
    Web Developer
    www.meadoworks.com
    IP

so basically,
    having extensions that end in.htm won't affect anything? is that correct?
    cheers
    chuck
    IP