Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Not really Painter (it'll take a long time to get an upgrade here in Belgium) but a real problem, and I'm stuck. Perhaps someone has an idea...I can't figure it out myself.

Whatever I do, my memory fills quickly to 99% and then I am, of course, out of memory. I tried every bar separately, and they work OK, but the problem is the same if I insert one or more memory bars.

I "fdisk"ed everything, tried format C:/U and installed only win 98SE and the fundamental drivers. the same problem. even with simply viewing Jpg's in Irfanview, it adds up.

If I turn of my PC, and turn it back on, I once again have some 70% of Ram at my disposition.
    That fills quickly with whatever I do. I lended the Win CD from a friend and installed that. Same problem.

This is frustrating, and I'm stuck. Probably some hadware problem (though no conflics to be seen in Win.) Has anyone an idea?

I have an Asus CUSL2-C mainboard with a pentiumIII 800 processor a daytona Riva TNT2 Nvidia M64 32MB VGA card, and 384 MB 133MHz ram.

Someone said it might be the Bios that's been damaged, someone else said the mainboard, but I just don't know. Fact is it wasn't like this from the start, and everything works fine, except for the memory.

Thanks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Not really Painter (it'll take a long time to get an upgrade here in Belgium) but a real problem, and I'm stuck. Perhaps someone has an idea...I can't figure it out myself.

Whatever I do, my memory fills quickly to 99% and then I am, of course, out of memory. I tried every bar separately, and they work OK, but the problem is the same if I insert one or more memory bars.

I "fdisk"ed everything, tried format C:/U and installed only win 98SE and the fundamental drivers. the same problem. even with simply viewing Jpg's in Irfanview, it adds up.

If I turn of my PC, and turn it back on, I once again have some 70% of Ram at my disposition.
    That fills quickly with whatever I do. I lended the Win CD from a friend and installed that. Same problem.

This is frustrating, and I'm stuck. Probably some hadware problem (though no conflics to be seen in Win.) Has anyone an idea?

I have an Asus CUSL2-C mainboard with a pentiumIII 800 processor a daytona Riva TNT2 Nvidia M64 32MB VGA card, and 384 MB 133MHz ram.

Someone said it might be the Bios that's been damaged, someone else said the mainboard, but I just don't know. Fact is it wasn't like this from the start, and everything works fine, except for the memory.

Thanks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]
    IP

Hello Erik!

this is a very mystifying problems especially since it was not present at the beginning.

I suspect that somehow windows isn't communicating to the Mainboard ( [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I still call it motherboard --politically incorrect or no) to release the memory.

So I would Target working on the BIOS or the chipset (as ways to avoid having to replace the motherboard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ).

direct link to the WinDrivers BIOS section

Through this site, I found an upgrade for my Xcess (VIA MVP3 chipset) motherboard. Although they have links to award and ami sites, keep drilling down in the windrivers site. Use their seach engine. . . it is fabulous.

This is a link to the WinDrivers site. Loads of great info

But before you try any new bios, do try to reload your old bios (recover a corrupt BIOS).

as suggested here at Wim's BIOS. but BE VERY CAUTIOUS! This is not for the faint of heart. And you are, of course taking your computer's health into your own hands.

Read Read and Read. (as a famous Texan once said while stumping for political office, Measure twice and cut once [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

you see what makes this especialy tricky is that it could simply be the BIOS code or the Chip. We'll hope it's just the code.

Another possibly unrelated issue, is that you have a zippy processor (gee what a problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) and I know win98 and ME had a patch that fixed a problem of the cache not having enough time to write to the HD before the PC shut down. (drat those zippy processors . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ) I think I am re-phrasing that issue correctly. (I normally find the microsoft site completely un-navigable so when you --- I think it was you -- had referred to feeling like you'd entered the Death Star hehe I knew what you meant. Add to that the fact that I also consider MS the Evil Empire on occasion [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. . .

OK but back to your problem. Wim's BIOS page is another great resource. These are just some ideas that will hopefully get you to the right answer.

Good Luck,

Athena
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

the name of the Greek Goddess of Wisdom. And your words are wise, and what's more : you were right from the start.
    I found the solution this morning (dreamtime often helps to clear the mind). Because the "normal programmes" you install do not influence the BIOS. But a network card can...I dived in, guided by the Force, and saw that network cards are indeed recognised in the BIOS, just like CDRom players and Hard Disk Drives.
    And I remember having had problems with the driver when I installed it some two weeks ago. So I bought a new one that was more adapted to "nowadays" hardware (a 10-100 by 3com), installed it, and on the last tab of the BIOS you can reset the initial values. Which I did and then reset my own wishes (I start up with the HDD) and the problem seems to be solved.)
    If I had come here, I would have found the solution. So thanks verrry much.

A question: whilst waiting for my Painter to arrive, are there any sites to visit with realy good work, and eventually some tutorials? And, in your opinion: is the manual sufficient, or is it best to buy a book, if yes: which one is the best?
    I am used to drawing and painting in the old master techniques, so it may well go quite deep into the matter. Every suggestion is welcome.
    IP

erik

nice to see you're working fine. it sounds like you have a great system and painter 6 should perform very well on it. i read your post a couple of times trying to figure out what could be going on. so it appears to be an older network card. interesting. so many times computer problems tend to be hardware related. yet this is usually, if you read newsgroups, the last thing users ever take into consideration. great deductive reasoning, man!

did your system memory prob appear suddenly? was there some software you installed that may have triggered it do you think?

stecyk66
    IP

Erik!

I am so glad you got the PC back up and running. (Accursed network card! I love 3Com cards. You can't go wrong with 3Com).

ok I reviewed some of your posts in the forum and found out you DO have a wacom so that ought to help complete the Painter 6 experience.

As far as when you finally get it. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

a link to my ultra special index of forum postings on Painter

(uhh yep I haven't updated it since dec 21st . . . I will) In that list are links to painter sites that forum members have found.

but when you finally get Painter6 there will be 2 CDs one has the program and the other has content. As one of our former members, Felix, had pointed out -- that 2nd CD has a really nice demonstration of Painter at work.

I have found the tutorials that come with painter 6 are very useful. But I also had the benefit of getting the painter 5 tutorial that came with that program so I'm not sure at the moment how adequate the 6 tutorial is for a complete painter novice. (the 5 tutorial was in a little manual) the painter 6 tutorial was in an adobe PDF.

But in your previous post you had mentioned outgrowing Painter Classic so it would seem that the manual might be sufficient for the moment.

But since you have a style of art already in mind that you plan to use Painter for, hmmm it might be useful to invest in a Painter WOW book (although the wow books typically give you very brief recipes) (I still haven't bought the Painter WOW book or the FX book but they are a solid set of books to get. Those are books you ought to be able to use like a catalogue and say "I want that effect . . . how did they do it?")

Robin Gilmor in that list of posts that I made also recommends a book that puts Painter and Photoshop together. She thought it was a great book. Do check out that thread [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have just been relying on my manual and the posts of other forum members for ideas of things to do. But like I said, since you have a specific style in mind you may be able to browse the WOW and FX books for elements that are similar to what you want to accomplish and be that much closer to your goal.

But the FX and WOW books are NOT essential to getting you used to using Painter. It isn't necessary to buy those books to supplement the manual. The Painter staff did a good job on the Painter 6 manual and it is actually useful [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] . And if you get stumped, ask us. Someone just might know what you're asking for.

hope the "Wells Fargo Wagon" brings your parcel soon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Athena

(hehe sorry that may be an American thing about Wells Fargo. I'm actually recalling another musical, (not Oliver) called The Music Man)

PS Welcome to the Painter Forum. We're lucky to have you here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (sorry i missed out on the big welcome earlier [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] as you've heard, my pc was incapacitated )
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Hi Erik,
    I am glad to hear that you have gotten your Soup Cooker fixed.
    You asked about the Painter 6 manual. The manual for Painter 6 is probably as good or better than most program manuals. I would also recommend the Painter f/x book for some good information.

Take care,
    Greg.
    IP

gee, i haven't been able to access talkgraphics for the last few hours!? well, actually more like most of the day. then i thought,'what would erik do at a moment like this?'....of course!he would use his head! immediately i rebooted, tried different browsers, tried different url variations, but then i booted virtual PC and used windows instead. it worked [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] wha...?! you're an inspiration, man.

http://www.wacom.com/painter/index.cfm

the upgrade package has finally happened

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    stecyk66
    IP

Erik,

For books, I'd second/third the suggestion to buy The Painter 6 WOW! Book by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis, Peachpit Press as a first choce. Though it's advanced for a beginner, it's inspiring and worth having.

Another choice, as mentioned earlier in this thread, would be the Painter F/X & Design book by Sherry London and Rhoda Grossman, publisher is Coriolis.

Good tutorials can not only be found on the many websites listed in earlier threads here but on Karen Sperling's Artistry Magazine CD (there's a new CD also), at:

http://www.artistrymag.com

Karen knows Painter inside out as she wrote the first Painter manuals and is still teaching Painter.

Jeremy Sutton also has tutorials on his site at:

http://www.portrayals.com

He also teaches Painter (portrait painting, for one, and I think he may teach general Painter classes as well) and is in process of writing a Painter book, I understand. He made a set of videos on Painter, for Painter 5 and 5.5 which I hear are excellent and though a bit pricey, would be wonderful to own, just to get a look at Painter in action.

Cher, Karen, and Jeremy are excellent sources for learning Painter.

Other websites where you can find tutorials are:

http://www.rapartz.com

Richard Pope creates nozzles licensed for use in Painter and has, among other tutorials, some on using nozzles to paint entire images.

Here's one tutorial on turning a photo into a painting:

http://the-internet-eye.com/HOWTO/19...ut/default.htm

Some beginner and intermediate level tutorials at my website:

http://www.pixelalley.com

Look in the Tutorials, Fun with Brush Strokes, and Character Matters sections.

That should keep you busy for a while. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP