Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I've found a program called GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) that is by far and a way closest to Photoshop. And it's free. IMO, it tops Photo-Paint, PaintShop Pro, and PhotoImpact for image manipulation (retouching).

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/

You want to download the run-time and the program itself, the top two items on the list. The Mac is not supported but if you scrounge this site, UNIX is also supported.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

I've found a program called GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) that is by far and a way closest to Photoshop. And it's free. IMO, it tops Photo-Paint, PaintShop Pro, and PhotoImpact for image manipulation (retouching).

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/

You want to download the run-time and the program itself, the top two items on the list. The Mac is not supported but if you scrounge this site, UNIX is also supported.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

uh, tops all those apps you say?

haha, come on Gary... there are alot of apps out there I would choose for image manipulation, but I seriously doubt that GIMP is one of them... it is buggy, least ways on my system, and furthermore IMHO comes nowhere close to having near the features as several of those apps you have mentioned...

Gidget...

In context, you misquoted me. I said it tops Photo-Paint for *image retouching*, and I mean it. Photo-paint might have a robust feature set, but I'll betcha many people will go for the tight "feel" of Gimp for image editing tasks. Image retouching, okay?

First of all we cannot forget that it is free, and second, the latest version is running on my system without bugs (although I'm using XP and you said you're running Windows 3.1, right?

I was not referring to, for example, Photo-Paint's bloated feature set, that has fifteen thousand filters of which you'd use them once or twice. I'm talking straight image editing---retouching, and not creating 3D stars or stuff. You need core tools...paint tools, masking tools, path creation tools, cloning tools, and so on. Not everyone needs "extended" features, such as 3D Transform, CMYK preview, and the like.

Photoshop is a gold standard, but I believe that Gimp should take the Bronze metal for a look and feel that's very close to PS (so you can learn it and then buy up) and a footprint of less than 10MB.

I'm sorry if I sound opinionated, but we're all dissing stuff far too frequently on this forum to the point where I feel reluctant to post new (at least new to me) downloaded with which people can play, learn, and ultimately expand their talents. Counter-opinions are fine, naturally, but Gidget, you gotta actually play with the new version to see for yourself that it has bugs. I found none so far.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

carry on my XP freind... please demonstrate some of why this app rocks in this area... I am all eyes

and, since it is you who have "dissed" PI along with several others here in your post through claiming better than status for Gimp, then I would be very interested in just how this app is more powerfull in any area than is PI... specifically PI there Gare... You have to download the latest version first and really understand it, become friendly with it, before you can suggest such IMHO...

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

I think I'm reading Linux between your lines Gary ;-}

Gimp is really a great app, on Linux it uses much less resource than on Win (any version).

However, on my win machine I'm still using Corel PhotoPaint 7 (LOL if you want), but for image editing, scaling, cropping, masks and the 1000+ PS plug-ins I've installed that's good enough. At least it's small, stable and fast.

BTW, there is an alternative: PhotoLine 32 -> http://www.pl32.com which is available for Win and Mac. Small, fast, beautiful, almost a clone of PS. A good deal for around US$ 100 I think. They used to have a minor bug - the algorithms for downscaling a pic, but I guess it's solved now.

I think I would prefer the GTK 2.21, but I have to check the compatibility with the Gimp for Windows.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I agree with Gidget, it's buggy

A qoute from their web site about their windows version:

"The program(s) might crash unexpectedly or behave otherwise strangely

They even admit it themselves

Btw, what has Gimp to do with 3D graphics?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Btw, what has Gimp to do with 3D graphics? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

01. Postproduction / Postprocessing
    02. Textures
    03. Bump maps
    04. Good to know there's somethin'
    05. To insert your sig into final renderings
    06. To keep you busy
    07. To pull you away from 3D to realize there is something else ;-}
    08. To give you a break
    09. To return to a pixel and forget the voxels for a short time
    10. I don't know

Enough?;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I tried Gimp some time ago, an earlier version I guess. It was just about the ugliest-looking app I had EVER seen, and was promptly deleted! I don't care about "many features" if the thing is unbearable to look at.

Ah, the joys of Adobe products - superior down to the very smallest detail, also looks-wise. True designers and artists just looooooove "good looks" - it's what makes our hearts pump!

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")