Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am using Webstyle 4 with Dreamweaver MX 2004. I am trying to use the webpage templates. Sometime it works wonderfully, other times it seems to have a mind of it's own about where to store files.

I want to create several almost identical sites. So I use a template to create a Webstyle project and save that to a directory. In dreamweaver I ceate a new site in that same directory. I use the Webstle link from inside Dreamweaver to edit the nav bars etc.

My problem comes when I go to repeat the process. Open a project and pull out the webpage, modify it slightly, and then save as a new project to a new directory. For some reason the index_files don't go where I expect them to. I end up with a new site which is missing them and a previous site corrupted with the new stuff.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would appreciate any insight you might have.

Thanks,
    Paul

I am using Webstyle 4 with Dreamweaver MX 2004. I am trying to use the webpage templates. Sometime it works wonderfully, other times it seems to have a mind of it's own about where to store files.

I want to create several almost identical sites. So I use a template to create a Webstyle project and save that to a directory. In dreamweaver I ceate a new site in that same directory. I use the Webstle link from inside Dreamweaver to edit the nav bars etc.

My problem comes when I go to repeat the process. Open a project and pull out the webpage, modify it slightly, and then save as a new project to a new directory. For some reason the index_files don't go where I expect them to. I end up with a new site which is missing them and a previous site corrupted with the new stuff.

If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would appreciate any insight you might have.

Thanks,
    Paul

If I am understanding you correctly, I think your problem is due to the way you're creating the new site.

Webstyle is very clever in remembering what you've done, and where you've put it, to make altering pages and creating extra pages for the same site easier.

However, by taking an existing project and creating it again, Webstyle thinks that it's part of the same project.

I think you will need to start a fresh on a design, and save it. This way Webstyle will see the two projects as separate, as they should be.

--------
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

I would like to use the same verticle nav bar essentially unchanged on several sites. There must be some way to avoid retyping the same material but still have the menu editable in Webstyle.

Thanks,
    Paul

I'm finding this a problem.
    I would consider a WebStyle "project" to be an entire site I'm working on.

I'd then use one Web layout for the first page,
    to get the colours logos etc,
    then I'd want to use another layout for a another page,
    which initially would work fine, copying across the elements included and colours etc,
    but then when you come to save that page you have to call it something different.

It also seems odd that each page will have it's own folder including many of the same graphic elements again.

Do this across several pages and you're increasing the download time considerably.

Being able to choose the images export folder would be an ideal solution,
    especially if that went in hand with the usual "file already exists" warnings.