Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've created an animated GIF file of my company logo tumbling into place on the corner of my web page. However, it starts and stops, and jerks into place because it's loading simultaneously with the other elements on the page.

How can I delay the action of the GIF file until all the information is loaded into the cache? So that when it does begin it's motion sequence it's smooth and fluid?

I've tried image preloading on load, and using a low source image, but neither seem to have any effect.

Once the page is loaded into cache, a second visit to the page shows the action smoothly.

I appreciate any help, very much.

Scott [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

I've created an animated GIF file of my company logo tumbling into place on the corner of my web page. However, it starts and stops, and jerks into place because it's loading simultaneously with the other elements on the page.

How can I delay the action of the GIF file until all the information is loaded into the cache? So that when it does begin it's motion sequence it's smooth and fluid?

I've tried image preloading on load, and using a low source image, but neither seem to have any effect.

Once the page is loaded into cache, a second visit to the page shows the action smoothly.

I appreciate any help, very much.

IP

Scott,

there's different ways to do this.

First, if there is any page before the one in question, place the logo there with width and height set to "1". It will be almost invisible there, but it will be ready on the next page.
    This is also a very compatible method as no JavaScript etc. is involved.

Second, you can place a 'blind' (transparent) GIF with the same width/height as the logo (or even better a static version of the logo itself) in the place. Then, using the "onLoad" command, (JavaScript) change it to the logo. This will of course only work, if the client has JavaScript activated.

A different approach: Do you want to spin the logo continuously ??
    If not, give the first frame a high delay of some seconds. This will give the rest of the animation enough time to load.
    The logo will then stand still for the time of the delay, then make a single spin and so on ...

Anyway, you should take utmost care to keep the filesize as small as possible. I'd say that 20kB is the maximum acceptable size. Always remember that this animation is not the reason the visitor came to the site ...

Wolfgang
    IP

Thanks very much for your response. All very good suggestions.

IP