Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

I wasn't sure it was safe to post again--- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] but I do understand the points made all around. I'm glad I learned enough to open my eyes (and I will get Mary's book)!!!! GroWeb I just want to say I love your image and I hope others will still drop in at least so they can see it!!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Maybe you could post it separately so there's a better chance of that???
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Since I can't seem to dissuade you with my sophisticated artistic efforts, how about some added legalistic complexity, just for fun.

As Jack pointed out earlier in this thread, we have here an international community. Yet the copyright law you are discussing is American and is therefore probably not applicable beyond the borders of your fifty states. Each country will have its own unique and highly complex version of copyright law. So, take the already complicated and ambiguous American law, and multiply it to the power of the number of countries represented here, and you'll realize what a tar-baby of a problem you are getting into.(Notice my familiarity with American folk culture? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

There is a motto most people have heard that I think applies here: Keep It Simple. If one is concerned about their stuff being ripped off, they should stick a copyright notice on it and find some convincing way to establish the date of creation, such as mailing themselves a floppy disk with the original file on it (the sealed envelope will be dated by the post office), or just by being the sole possessor of the original, dated vector file as suggested in an earlier post (of course, file creation dates can be manually adjusted, and therefore may not be convincing). Then forget it and move on to your next project.

As Maya elucidated earlier, somebody might rip off a piece of your artwork and get away with it, even with full copyright protection (due to the complexity of international legal systems), but they will never be able to take away your ability to create more works to replace it. So let's get back to creating works, and leave the insanely complex legal maze to the lawyers and judges who are trained to interpret it.

Just my 2 Canadian cents worth. Thanks for listening.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

I agree, and didn't think of that, internationally speaking. Laws are different all over the globe, so for the USA this has been really informative in it's way, but now I feel bad that it was not inclusive to EVERYONE. Sigh.........and so it goes.......... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Funny, I just noticed your registration date, you registered on my 41st birthday this year. Here's the man that convinced me to just get back to doing my art and stop trying to process something that is simple in it's way but complicated in it's way.

Enough!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again Glen. And to all those POSITIVE minded souls that contributed to one of the longest posts in the short history of Xara's Talk Graphics forums. WOW!!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

As Ritso said on page 3 - It's good we're all friends. I think this helps.

I've been away for a few days and I think I'm going to have to wait for the movie version of this thread as I gave up reading on page3!

Nothing else to add

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Turan

Not gone for a few months, Mr. Priester!

Woo-hoo!

The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    The Fontman
    "For those who fought for freedom...freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Wrong... Not gone for a few months, Mr. Priester! Woo-hoo! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah well, perhaps it was just wishful thinking on my part.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

In other forums I've been involved with, troublemakers were denied further membership, and not allowed to post, after enough complaints were registered about their inflammatory, hateful, or racist posts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Putting them on probation is also very effective.
    "One more bad post, and you're gone for good."

Has Fontman ever contributed anything of value to this forum? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Why put up with it?

Membership in this forum is a privilege to me, and I would expect to be kicked out if I abused that privilege.

Dale

[This message was edited by Dale Landry on March 09, 2002 at 15:42.]

even if they don't have any thing to contribute.

However, this is not my conference, Dale, I am just a moderator.

As this thread has gotten a bit long in the tooth, why don't you post a new POLL Topic in this conference and/or the Xara X Conference and ask the members of the community if we should bozo out people who are non-productive, inflamatory, infantile, and disruptive?

By the way, I did a web search on The Fontman, aka Mark Schallow and found links to many other forums in which he has made inflamatory remarks. I posted his particulars (public knowledge) in the Xara X Conference if anybody want's to contact Mark off line.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone