Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Here is an excellent way to learn about the brush settings that you don't understand.
    First of all you must realise that all the custom brushes are only saved settings in the brush controls pallette. Try this, select any custom brush. very carefully go through every field on the brush controls pallette and with an analogue carbon based writing instrument record every setting. Note some fields will be irrelevent. Then select another brush, then change the settings one by one in the field till it matches what you wrote down. After each field change try your brush to see how it's changing. When all the settings are the same you will see that you have changed your second brush into your first brush. Click restore default. This exercise can yield some enlightening observations. For example when all the settings are nearly the same you might find it hard to believe that you will end up with the same brush, then suddenly you make a small change like on the feature setting then presto there's your brush. If your second brush does not look exactly like your first then you have missed something in one of the fields, it could be very subtle like an invers setting check box in the expression field. This insight that all custom brushes are merely saved settings was a quantum leap in my painter learning curve.
    IP

Here is an excellent way to learn about the brush settings that you don't understand.
    First of all you must realise that all the custom brushes are only saved settings in the brush controls pallette. Try this, select any custom brush. very carefully go through every field on the brush controls pallette and with an analogue carbon based writing instrument record every setting. Note some fields will be irrelevent. Then select another brush, then change the settings one by one in the field till it matches what you wrote down. After each field change try your brush to see how it's changing. When all the settings are the same you will see that you have changed your second brush into your first brush. Click restore default. This exercise can yield some enlightening observations. For example when all the settings are nearly the same you might find it hard to believe that you will end up with the same brush, then suddenly you make a small change like on the feature setting then presto there's your brush. If your second brush does not look exactly like your first then you have missed something in one of the fields, it could be very subtle like an invers setting check box in the expression field. This insight that all custom brushes are merely saved settings was a quantum leap in my painter learning curve.
    IP

analogue carbon based writing instrument.

why do i get the feeling that the eventual 'Digital Artist Manifesto' is going to read more like a technical paper as opposed to revolutionary poetry.

pragmatically,

stecyk sixty-six

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Thelonius,

Hi...

Just so no one gets more confused than Painter can already make us.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The term "custom brushes" is generally used to refer to brushes the Painter user creates.

Painter's default brush libraries contain brush types and each brush type has a set of variants. Is it the Painter default brush variants what you're referring to?

On another thread, several weeks ago, I posted a sample "brush recipe" that any of us can use to type in the settings for a new brush we've created and want to share with the group. I had hoped that some readers would make use of it and post their custom brush variant so that others could learn how to change the settings and get some practice creating a custom brush variant. Then, once they have the idea, they could begin creating their own custom brush variants. It's really a lot of fun once you get the hang of it and your revelation was similar to mine a while back. Once that's understood, it makes the whole process make sense and become easy.

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Hi
    yeah I did mean default brushes, but it doesn't really matter because the main point I wanted to make to people learning painter,(isn't that all of us) was that going through every field methodically to change one brush into another and checkin the progress along the way,can yield some surprising discoveries.
    As opposed to merely building a brush from a recipe.
    Oh by the way I'm a new member so hello to everyone.
    IP

Hi Thelonious,
    Thanks for the input and welcome to the group.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your Painter work.

Regards,
    Greg.

Inside every older person is a younger one asking "What the H--- happened".
    IP

Thelonius,

If I didn't say it before, welcome to the Painter Forum.

About methods of learning about Painter brush variants... whatever enlightens is the best way and it always helps to have another point of view and another technique introduced. Yes, we're always learning Painter. I don't know a single person, even the expert experts who claim to know it all. After several years of using Painter, since Painter 4, I learn something new almost every day. Amazing, isn't it, that a software can be so "dense" (that's a term one of my early Painter teachers used to describe it.. and she was right. The deeper you dig the more there is to discover.)

Hope you enjoy this forum. It's a nice group. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

thelonious

welcome to the forum. i see you're a photoshop user also. and a jazz fan?... ( just a wild guess [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

stecyk66
    IP

Thelonious,

Welcome to the painter forum!

That is a great idea about teaching yourself the way brushes work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Thanks for posting it. (even if it does sound a little painful . . . using an analog recording device like a pencil or a pen. . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

But it does sound like it's worth the trouble.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on May 22, 2001 at 12:15.]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP