Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which one?

I am working on a modelling contest at renderosity.com. We are to model a piece of furniture.

Which one of these to you like better, and what improvements can ya'll suggest.

Modeled in Rhino, rendered in C4D.
    --Thanks

--Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chinaCabinet_workstation0001.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	5195  

I am working on a modelling contest at renderosity.com. We are to model a piece of furniture.

Which one of these to you like better, and what improvements can ya'll suggest.

Modeled in Rhino, rendered in C4D.
    --Thanks

--Randy

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Randy,

hard to say, but I tend to point to the left one with pinewood, because it's brighter. Or you use might try pinewood on the closet type object, because that one has more details! OK, my decision is a bit biased, because I don't like dark scenes or objects at all, but I know that you'll find a lot of dark scenes at renderosity.com ;-/\

Do they care for details? If so I'd suggest a lock and key for the closet type - a screw-on lock like in those 'ancient' furnitures... and maybe a bumpmap for scratches and ditches?

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Randy--

It looks good, except that the texture map of the wood clearly repeats itself on the two upper right hutch doors.

I'd suggest Three-D Graphics' Texture Creator, or I'd be happy to lend you a light wood image with no obvious seams.

Radiosity is to dull parts of an image, what ray tracing is to specular parts of an object for those who do not understand what Randy is showing here. Dull areas are traced very accurately, and hey, it's a dull world out there (at least my quarter is [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Nice work, Randy
    My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Jens - Details is what counts the most. Do you know of some reference photos of the lock you are talking about. I think I know what you are talking about, but can not produce it without reference photo. (ps - I favor dark wood [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Gary - I could always use more textures. I will search my small collection for a seamless one. If you have one, I would love to get it from you. You can never have too many textures. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hi Randy (and All)--

I'm attaching the wood images I use a lot for dark wood and light wood. They seamlessly tile.

Everyone is welcome to them--I give up sole ownership of them as of this posting.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Name:	woodcopy.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	15039  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I like the cabinet on the right Bud [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cinema has about 20 + wood textures that come with the program,are none of them like you want?...also dont forget the 3d wood shader.

On the cabinet I would make the specular channel to a level that suggests semi shiny varnish,and I would make a reflective channel that has areas where the varnish is shinier than other pieces to show wear and tear.I would also use a texture like mahogany or something similar as any cabinet that is very old and classy would have been made with very swirly/sexy wood.

For reference Randy go funiture shopping on the net and also antique shopping and you should find something suitable.

I think if you use dark wood you might lose texture or grain in the lighting...not positive though.

Cheers [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Heres a quick render of a cabinet I made a while ago.The texture was on the Maxon cd,its called Walnut 1 jpg.

Cheers. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Stu.

Name:	Randy.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	1254  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I think the cabinet on the right has more potential. Consider changing the shelves to glass and putting cabinet spotlights in the soffit that shine down through the shelves. Exploit the lighting by filling the shelves with wine glasses etc. You could also modify the glass door to be a more transparent glass and position it to facilitate sexy reflections. If you are really ambitious a door with leaded panel of thick beveled glass would be really cool. I hope you find something useful in these ideas.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Stu,
    I sometimes forget about Maxon's textures because they all are setup for .tiff's and the images installed are .jpg's. I have been to lazy to convert them all, so I get frustrated when I go to render and it gives me a texture error. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Ross,

Excellent ideas! But since this is a modelling contest the renders are not suppose to count [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I think I will try some of the ideas, because it sounds like a fun challenge and learning experience.

Gary,

Thanks for the textures. I am trying to build me a good collection.

Thanks everyone,
    --Randy