Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone remember the registry key for the above? I've searched for it and found a message with a link, however, the link was to a message that had expired. I also sent an email so that this would be placed in the Tips and Tricks forum.

Thanks.

Dave Zubrowski
    Dave Zubrowski

Does anyone remember the registry key for the above? I've searched for it and found a message with a link, however, the link was to a message that had expired. I also sent an email so that this would be placed in the Tips and Tricks forum.

Thanks.

Dave Zubrowski
    Dave Zubrowski

Try this, quote (by Alex W), "....and if you're willing to muddle in the windows registry, there is an option that will backup your previous copy (to filename.bak) everytime you save:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XaraX\Version 3.0\Options\Filters
    Change "MakeBakFiles" from 0 to 1" Unquote.

Mark, how hard would it be to include an option in the Page Options to make a backup copy on Save, or every 10 minutes like that Canadian product does?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Rarely So Humble...

A backup/timed save option would be nice, however, the reg settings work for me (Thanks).

I would prefer PDF import/export in the new version. I saw one of Mark's posts stating that no more patches would be produced but a new release. Maybe it is time for another wishlist post??????????

Dave Zubrowski
    Dave Zubrowski

Hi

It is only when I read this thread that I found out anything about a backup feature in XaraX. I have now set the reg key as instructed but I have no idea when it backs up (on loading, closing or saving) or where the backup is saved. Can someone please tell the forum a bit more about this apparently little knopwn feature of XaraX. Thanks.

Tracey

Say your file is called "My Wonderful Drawing.xar". Lets say you hypothetically like your drawing and acutally want to save it. Before Xara does any actual saving, it will copy the file and rename it to "My Wonderful Drawing.bak" and put it in the same folder. Only after will the original "My Wonderful Drawing.xar" be saved. (If there was a previous backup, it will be replaced with the newer backup. If this stuff in brackets confueses you, ignore it: )

What's the purpose of this? If Xara crashes while saving "My Wonderful Drawing.xar" and corrupts it, you have "My Wonderful Drawing.bak" to fall back on. You do not have to change the extension back to .xar .
    creativesuperhero.ca

Alex

Thanks for your reply and, contrary to what you imply, I understand every word you said. I would say that I am a very competant computer user since I do all my own repairs and upgrades (both hardware and software) and installing an OS carries no fears for me - although it obviously has to be done with care. My problem was just that I had no idea where XaraX saves its backup files and when. Anyway thanks for the info.

Tracey

My apologies if I inadvertenly suggested anything nasty. Details are sometimes useful but can also be redundant or unnecessarily overwhelming.

Speaking of detail, all you CorelXara users don't need to miss out on all this fun (yours truly still uses version 1.5 for its sheer speed).

CorelXara 2.0:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corel\CorelXARA\Version 2.0\Options\Filters

CorelXara 1.5 and below (you guys have it easier):
    "corelxra.ini" in your windows folder (just edit with notepad)

All Xara versions share most of these hidden setting, some more useful than others. My personal favorite, selection blob sizes. Observe:
    creativesuperhero.ca

No my handles aren't actually this big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blobs.gif 
Views:	304 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	5706  
    creativesuperhero.ca