Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: A Halloween pic

Maybe a little early for a halloween picture...But here's one anyway.

Not a "pure" vector illustration, but it was coloured entirely in Xara. A line art scan imported into Xara and colour was added.

I scanned my drawing at 300 dpi as line art. Cleaned up the scan in Photo-Paint of any unnecessary spots and what not. Imported the jpeg to Xara. Added a stained glass transparancy to the jpeg. Created a new layer under the bitmap layer where I added the shapes to colour the image.

Exported it at a high resolution, resized it in Photo-Paint and sharpened the image.

I like using Xara for colouring, because it's so easy to change the colours you've used in your drawing.

-Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01cats.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	19440  
    •Bob

Maybe a little early for a halloween picture...But here's one anyway.

Not a "pure" vector illustration, but it was coloured entirely in Xara. A line art scan imported into Xara and colour was added.

I scanned my drawing at 300 dpi as line art. Cleaned up the scan in Photo-Paint of any unnecessary spots and what not. Imported the jpeg to Xara. Added a stained glass transparancy to the jpeg. Created a new layer under the bitmap layer where I added the shapes to colour the image.

Exported it at a high resolution, resized it in Photo-Paint and sharpened the image.

I like using Xara for colouring, because it's so easy to change the colours you've used in your drawing.

-Bob.
    •Bob

A fun one Bob. I love the expression of the cat laying behind the pumpkin...

Mickie

Love the kitten lifting the top.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

<a href="http://www.xaraxone.com">
    The Xara Xone </a>

Hi Bob,

Love the character your images have.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Charming

It's never too early for a Halloween picture. The stores have had Halloween stuff out since...May...June...somewhere in there. Nicely done! I absolutely love your style!

Dave

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
    Pablo Picasso

Please feel free to visit Dave's Renderosity Gallery

I tried scanning one of my cartoons using your method described here. It seems like it would work pretty slick, but I ran into issues. Scan it in as line art? When you apply the transparency, how do you then darken the lines again? It looks like you have darkened the lines in some way to get some nice dark and sharp lines. They are very nice images, and I would love to use this same technique. Just have to work at it I guess. Love the web page! Did you do the buttons and such using Xara, or another program? Thanks again!

Dave

Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
    Pablo Picasso

Please feel free to visit Dave's Renderosity Gallery

Hi, Dave.

With the line art scan, you just need to apply a flat stained glass transparency at 0.0%. Have your bitmap on one layer and put your "xara graphics" underneath in another layer. The xara colours will show through the white areas of the bitmap, but not throught the black (when you use stained glass). It helps too to make the bitmap layer uneditable, so you don't accidently move it out of position.

Yeah, all the buttons on my site were made and exported from Xara X. I love how it can do that, writing all the code and all. I used Frontpage to put the site together.

Thanks

-Bob.
    •Bob