Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bodyvm.gif 
Views:	382 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	16989  

... out to finally shaping things some...

I mean you would do things slightly different if you were following a pic of a specific car for sure, but the having influence extrudes on each side of the wheel well areas, as well as an influence extrude along back x side would still be the same approach, just the positioning of the wheel wells, doors etc would be different is all...

but this here racer is just imagination... so we were much more free in how the design was approached

Name:	bodyshaping.gif 
Views:	382 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	19229  

on and on it goes folks... just box the shape out moving around those faces and edges until you get the overall base shape just right in that boxy looking state...

then you can either select the whole thing and subdivide( see post below for info to keep some lines sharp ) , or, as I usualy do, you can select some horizontal and/or vertical edges, hit "g" to select edge ring, and then hit "c" to divide and connect said ring, or hit any number, and then "c" to divide into specific amounts...

So... have some fun and box out a car folks... use this design if you want, or better yet, come up with your own cool design

and btw, ya know what, setting up those hotkeys... might seem to be a bit of work at first, but I reiterate, once set up, you will find that modeling with them is very easy, and much more intuitive than working with the slide out menu's...

I mean you can still use the menu's when you wish, but I can tell you that for moving those f/e/v's around, and for extruding same, and scaling... using those F keys is really natural... the left key in each F key bunch is op>normal... and then op > x/y/z for the other three keys on the right of each bunch... your eyes, hands, will soon find this a quick and easy way to interact anyways, all up to you

happy modeling

and.... here's a slightly altered version of this same original boxed out shape from above... altered in Silo...just for you Ivan

but yea, now you can see different design possibilities stemming just from one very cubular approach... move things around and this could become a ferrari, or pantera or lotus or lambordini or... what's your choice ?

you will notice the bottm edge all around the whole car is sharp even when subd'ed... this whole edge was selected and defined as "creased" in Silo, so that it would not round out... this would be defined as edge>harness>hard within Wings3d... you could do a slight bevel on this edge later on to round it out just slightly, or... on and on it goes... the power is in your minds and hands, to make this very simple box form into your specific dream car...

and finally... hehe... I would imagine that this boxed out shape could be done in most any app such as Silo, C4D, Maya etc, and the only part that would be different is in how the VM is set up,how welding or merging the two halves is approached.... and the hotkey's etc...,is all... but yea, just extrude and move those poly's ... in which ever app

Have fun

Name:	siloracer4ivan.gif 
Views:	367 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	5924  

and... just to take the original box form shown in the wheel well example several post's above here a few steps in a different direction... out of this form you can create all sorts of neat stuff... do a few extra cut and connects here and there, move some stuff around here and there, and whoila... a new car wip...

Yea yea, it still needs a ton of work... as usual... ...

Anyways... there ya have it... just create the original rectangular box form, and work it around some...

and if you have never modeled a car in 3D before, whatcha waiting for... it doesn't have to be an exact science ya know... it is supposed to be fun is all

come on, model a car... any car... real looking or just a funny cartoon like buggy... I know you can

oh, and before I forget, another couple of tips to make modeling easier on you... some of you know these, while others new to Wings3d may not...

'if you ever get your self into a spot whereby you can't seem to get to the spot you wish to work on... in Wings3d just hightlight/select a vert.edge or face in that general vacinity, and hit"a" for aim, and this will allow you to now scroll zoom to that area...'

and if you feel like just free moving a vert/edge or face around, just hit "t" for tweak mode, and select holding down the lmb, and without letting the lmb go, just move a selected part around... to exit "tweak mode" just right click... be sure to be in VM mode before tweaking, or else the tweak will only affect one side... unless of cource you are modeling in some dents or something, in which case, tweak on...

Name:	wingsandsilobugracer.gif 
Views:	344 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	12919  

Its a bug....

gidge---

liked the rendering from carrara. ever try vue d'esprit?

thumbs up, all three of them,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Yea Mike... a Bug indeed, though as ever, far from finished

Hi Gare... thanks... yes, I tried Vue a few times, and found that though it was pretty straight forward, and produced very nice results, it also was a tad too resource hungry for my little machine