Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the group and have a few quick questions concerning .jpg files...

Sometimes when I right-click to save a .jpg file from the Web, it only allows me to save the image as a .bmp (bitmap), offering no other choice. Does anyone know why this happens? Its cause?

(This has been puzzling me for over a year!)

:-)
    Kara

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the group and have a few quick questions concerning .jpg files...

Sometimes when I right-click to save a .jpg file from the Web, it only allows me to save the image as a .bmp (bitmap), offering no other choice. Does anyone know why this happens? Its cause?

(This has been puzzling me for over a year!)

:-)
    Kara

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

This could be caused by several things. Are you using a PC? or a Mac? Are you using AOL or CompuServe? If so, they often don't give you the choice as to how to save files.

If not:

#1 Make sure you are using "Save Target " or "Save Background as" when you right click.

#2. Due to the fact that so many people "borrow" graphics...some designers code their images so that you either get a transparent gif or bmp or other format...in order to protect their work.

other than that...unless you can be more specific, I can't think of another reason at the moment. Hope that helps a bit.

Welcome to the group!

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    IP

Thanks for the welcome! :-)

Presently, I use a PC...and no, I'm not a member of AOL or Compuserve. I wish it was that easy.

It doesn't happen often, but every once in a blue moon, I run across such a .jpg file. The results are the same for anyone who attempts to save it. Case in point, go to the following image and try to save it as a .jpg:

http://192.35.37.25/philaview/webcam.../frame0407.jpg

It will offer you ONE choice only---.bmp---despite the fact that the image Properties describe the format as .jpg.

Weird, isn't it?
    Kara
    IP

Hi Kara,

Welcome! I'm fairly new myself to these forums.

I followed your link to the image and I see what you mean. IE defaulted to BMP format even if I changed the extension. However, in Opera it came up as a jpg type when saving the image. Thought maybe it may be because it was an image without an html page so I tried one of my own images that is a jpg and in IE when I went to Save Picture As it came up correctly as a jpg type. The only thing I can think of is maybe the image is missing some information internally to identify itself as a true jpg. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

-Troy
    IP

I posted my question at another Graphic Design forum, and the general consensus seems to be that it's a browser glitch. All Netscape users have the .jpg option. None of the IE users have the luxury.

I learned that if you right-click on my example image and choose 'Properties,' you'll see that the Size field is listed as 'not available', probably because no end-of-file marker was found (ie some data from the end of the image file was not recieved from the webserver). Apparently, the file is being sent incomplete by the webserver, either because:
    1) The file itself is incomplete
    OR
    2) The webserver is not sending .jpeg files properly (ie the .jpeg MIME type is not being communicated to the browser properly).

My guess is that IE can display most of the file, but when you try to save it, it decides that it is not a proper .jpeg (because the end is missing) so offers you the more 'IE native' BMP format instead.

Fiiiiinally....mystery solved! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks for your welcome and input!!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img],
    Kara
    IP

Ran into the same problem and found the answer and the workaround on Microsoft site in this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q260/6/50.asp
    IP

...Aliah!!

This explains *everything*!!

Quite 'officially,' too!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Kara
    IP

Kara,

You are welcome! By the way, I had to register at this site to give you the info, so I'm new. I was trying to download images on the limited 3 day trial membership to Art Today and for the life of me could find no way to get anything but a bitmap image. Finding the thread above at the Microsoft site explained it pretty "officially" as you put it. It also made me decide that the ArtToday site probably knows about this and is doing nothing to fix it. It made me decide not to do a subscription to the site because I never have this problem with other photo sites.
    IP