Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mark,
    I agree that the scene should be a blast from the past. Lets not forget that we will need some furniture also (desk, chest of drawers, boxes) also.

Stu,
    I was thinking it was going to be in the child's bedroom. Is that right everybody?

--Randy

Mom Norton utilities has a function called unerase which lets you dig up and replace all your invisible files,it might be helpful in your situation.

I think the helmet could go with the skate board.And rather than using some toys and not others why not have a whiney little brother who is a toddler to our 9 - 12 year old and then we probably have enough toys already,and it also allows for extending of the plotline.for instance the toddler plays with the robot slobbers on the robot all the time and is forever throwing it around,and that is why the robot wants to be played with by the 9 -12 year old for a change,it also gives the robot motivation to be played with,and also explains why the robot is not played with very much by the older child.

Stu.

I work just like everyone else on this forum. Perhaps more than 12 hours a day, at least 5 days a week earning my bread as an author. The bottom has fallen out of the application book market, so I've taken on writing web chapters for Pearson, and writing school textbooks to make up the difference.

And yet I'm here on the forum every day, and if I hadn't promised everyone that I's stay out of the creative and modeling process, *I* would have half the collaboration image done by now.

What's going on, folks? Out of all the TalkGraphics forums, ours is the most in-depth. The others feature "hit and run" graphics advice...but not a lot of background, meaty material like we do.

Has interest waned so badly for whatever reasons that we, as a group, don't have the energy to devote a little "ooomph" to the collaboration?

Are we a bunch of tired, old, easily distracted, has-beens before we've begun?

I'm pissed, because I thought a collaboration would help bind us as a forum. But the most active thread right now is a word game (admittedly, one in which I participate).

Shall we go back to posting pictures of,"Golly, look what I did today.?", and referrals to upgrades? Hey, there's nothing wrong with that...it's just that I think...no, I KNOW, we can do better than that. I mean, shit--Stu is desperately ill and yet he emailed me a bunch of crayons to use in the background of the collaboration. Do any of us have as critical excuses for setting back?

So do we, as Wayne intimated, pull the plug on the patient?

Really confused with this group as a whole,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on October 15, 2001 at 11:38.]
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Looks good Stu! Remember to send all models to jens site when finished. I still have a couple more to upload.

If you don't have the password and site address yet make sure you check out Gary's post under "W" Wayne's last post (the one with the coffee cup)

--Randy

Ok, I will try to flow chart the process with the people invovled along the way. I will try to finish this tommorrow sometime.

I still have one question. When a model is finished, should we just post a picture here, and hold the model untill we are ready to send to the people who will texture it. Or should we send a model to whoever is going to texture it (via email).

I think we should send models to the texture people so they can get started. I am willing to host files so that the texture people can download them as they get ready for them.

--Randy

Sorry, all.

This collaboration is INDEED in need of organization. And I do not want to be responsible for it, because I'm a "senior", I've worked with production groups for more than a decade...so what would be the point in putting a "ringer" in charge? Note: A ringer is someone who enters a game pretending to know nothing, but in fact is quite experienced at the game.

The point of this game is to cooperate with one another...which we are sort of doing, to bring together the best-matching talents to make a kick-ass composition.

Randy, if you wouldn't mind, can you get out a pencil, or Visio, and flow this thing from talent, to procedure, to completion, and post it? In the meanwhile, will everyone involved please write a short email to me (Gary@TheBoutons.com) with name (your own name), models you think you are responsible for (unless you're doing textures or something else, in which case, tell me...and you get more of a vacation than the modelers), what program you are using and the file extension (ex: dxf, obj, and so on), and I will collate and post in the next few days the list of who's on first.

My request to post images is to keep the momentum, so please do not be afraid to post WIPs and stuff, okay?

My Head Hurts,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Guys & girls,

if you need a place for storage which can be accessed via ftp and http to up- & download files pls let me know. I can setup a dir on my server - size doesn't matter (as a partner of a tier 2 provider I can supply whatever you'll need). However, pls give me 24 hours to set it up - I'm kind of tied up at this moment, and I want a secure setup there ;-}

In addition I might offer a http fetcher page for those of you who don't know how to use ftp, that means you can up- & download files with your browser.

This could serve as a 'central archive'.

In addition I've set up a chat room at

http://jens.highspeedweb.net/xartist-chat

no membership required ;-} (but pls don't abuse it)

my suggestion for schedules to meet there:

9:00am EST thru 3:00pm EST

this time frame is perfect for all of us: you guys in the US can use it without sweat, and if the Europeans will join in the afternoon there should be several people in there. Our Oceanian friends can join late night... sounds like a plan? Of course the chat room will be open 24/7, so feel free to use it.

We can set up certain days/times for general meetings there as well. BTW, it won't work if you are located behind a firewall because of the java sandbox security features...

Let me know what you think.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

My first skateboard (in 1965) was just that! A two x Four with a metal roller skate pulled apart and one half nailed to the front and the other half to the back. All the sb's that were on the market then (that I can remember) were strickly wooden.

FOR ANOTHER PROJECT/THEME perhaps there could be a "time warp" theme. A boy's bedroom which has been occupied by brothers of a large family. Imagine a closet with two or three old skateboard models heaped atop each other. The top a chest-of-drawers with a pile of old electronic toys (game boys or whatever). A old monitor on a junky desk displaying a pong game. Some Revelle plastic model-cars. An model of an old Folker, a B52 bompber, etc., hanging from a threads from the ceiling and a Stealth model airplane in the process of being assembled on the desktop. The obligatory model sailing ship (I and my dad assembled the Cutty Sark). The invisible V-8 engine. Blah, Blah, ..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Ross...

Is this lego building ok?
    Let me know plz.

And here's a version of the bike helmet *with* a strap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lego_building.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	15320  

UR right Randy. This project has taught me a couple of things so far.

I'm doing a toy trunk and bookshelf... but don't let that stop anyone else from doing something simlar.

W