Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

CD8, SP2

I create a 1" X 1" rectangle, white fill, 1 point black outline and export (selection only) as WMF, CMX, and AI (6/7).

The CMX and AI files open correctly in programs supporting those file types. The WMF opens as some huge rectangle. I've tried it in Illustrator 8, Xara X, and Visio2K.

Everything points to CD as the bad guy.

BTW, I'm conducting compatibility experiments between vector graphics tools. I understand that, depending on the programs involved, there are much better formats than WMF. However, I need to understand the problem with WMF since it might be one of the few widely supported file types.

Thanks
    IP

CD8, SP2

I create a 1" X 1" rectangle, white fill, 1 point black outline and export (selection only) as WMF, CMX, and AI (6/7).

The CMX and AI files open correctly in programs supporting those file types. The WMF opens as some huge rectangle. I've tried it in Illustrator 8, Xara X, and Visio2K.

Everything points to CD as the bad guy.

BTW, I'm conducting compatibility experiments between vector graphics tools. I understand that, depending on the programs involved, there are much better formats than WMF. However, I need to understand the problem with WMF since it might be one of the few widely supported file types.

Thanks
    IP

When you import the file into your other programs, what filters are you using? I understand in CD you can choose the specific filter (i.e., Postscript Interpreted vs. plain EPS or WMF vs. All files). See if you can manipulate the import filters in your other programs to see if it has an effect on the quality of the image.

Have you tried "saving as" vs. exporting, and are you including a placeable header? From some of the posts in the Xara forum, WMF can come in very poorly in that program. I'm not familiar with Illustrator or Visio.

In the past, the only problems I've ever had using the WMF format has been with the program importing the file, not Corel.
    IP

Thank you for the ideas Smorg.

Yes, I've tried Save As. Same behavior.

Another piece of the puzzle is that the error is different with each program. That is when importing a 1.0" X 1.0" square, I get the following results
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Xara X: Comes in as 16000 X 16000 pixels<LI>Illustrator 8: Comes in as 13.333" X 10.667"<LI>Visio 2000: An error message and a refusal to import the graphic<LI>null[/list]

BTW, When I create the 1.0" X 1.0" square with a 1 point outline in Xara X, and import it into CorelDraw8, it almost works. The square comes in at the correct size, but the outline is 0.72 points.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    IP

I've had a lot of frustrating nights over this problem, especially with (of all pgms) WordPerfect. I can export a file from CD as .wmf and MS Word has no problem with it but WP9 yikes!!! Now this is really bad for Corel Corp. as it's own products are not interchangeable. What a mess. The graphic looks good on the screen but the print out is a mess.
    IP