Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Newbie Alert!

Greetings,

I've just started playing with Flash, and I'm very frustrated with the fact that the movie I tried to make looked okay as a .fla, but as soon as I viewed it as a .swf there was a ton of distortion and ugly colours, and stuff.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, any links to tutorials for new comers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    IP

Greetings,

I've just started playing with Flash, and I'm very frustrated with the fact that the movie I tried to make looked okay as a .fla, but as soon as I viewed it as a .swf there was a ton of distortion and ugly colours, and stuff.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, any links to tutorials for new comers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    IP

Hi,

I'm not sure what is going wrong with your .swf files but are you using regular graphics or vector graphics? If you are using bitmapped images, they will distort if your movie is set at 100% and is not the same size as the resolution set on the monitor.

Flashkit is a good place for examples and tutorials: Flashkit.

Extreme Flash has some good beginner tutorials: Extreme Flash.

I have found some useful action scripting tutorials at: Moock.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    IP

And of course Stinger ment to tell you about www.popedeflash.com [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] a great site for Flash 3D sorry shameless self plug hahaha if you can show the file we would love to help you out.

You might want to also check out www.ultrashock.com as another excellent resource.

Regards, Bill

and welcome to the Flash world!!!

Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    IP

I tried redoing it using vectors, and it looks much better, so I guess that was the problem.

Is there any way to import selections from .BMPs, .JPGs or .GIFs ro will that always cause them to distort?

Thanks again
    IP

I should have included www.popedeflash.com but neglected to do so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Andy:

Bitmaps, jpg, gif, png, etc. will always distort depending on the resolution the viewers monitor is set at. The way to prevent this from happening and to always appear nicely is to publish your Flash movie at the exact size of your .fla. Check your settings under Modify/Movie to see what size it is. If you are using HTML publishing within Flash, make sure your Publish Setting dimentions are set to "Match Movie". If you are putting the Flash movie into a page that you have created, put the movie into a table cell that is exactly the same size as your movie. This way, you can use bitmapped images and distortion should not occur. However, this is not the case all of the time. If you view my posting on "distorted graphics", you will see that it can still happen but not usually.

I really hope this is of some help to you. I was in your shoes not too long ago and if it weren't for this forum, I'd still be there.

Good luck,

Scott (Stinger)
    IP