Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: BIG FILE!

Hey everyone, hows it goin. I have a purely flash built website and it is approx 3000 frames long. So I have this preloader at the beginning right, except that the preloader takes about 5 long minutes. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can break apart this file or reduce its size or whatever, so as to not have to wait so long for the whole thing to download
    Thanks
    Nick
    IP

Hey everyone, hows it goin. I have a purely flash built website and it is approx 3000 frames long. So I have this preloader at the beginning right, except that the preloader takes about 5 long minutes. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can break apart this file or reduce its size or whatever, so as to not have to wait so long for the whole thing to download
    Thanks
    Nick
    IP

How large is the file? What makes up the animation? is it bitmaps? if it is then you might want to rethink the animation itself. One of the most unwanted features in a flash site by survey is the "Intro" so if you have a long introduction you might want to lose it all together and offer it as an animation they can wait for by choice. but the simple fact is that you turn customers away from your site when they have to wait. Studys show you have 7 seconds to grap their attention and and additonal 5 seconds before they start clicking to get away from the site. Speed and information rule the lay of the land. Just trying to help. Regards, Bill

Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    Macromeidians 1:1

In the begining the web was dark and void, and the net was with out color or shape, Then there was a Flash and Life came to the web and vision became reality.
    IP

I agree with Bill. If you have a large file, it is going to take a while to load. You might want to consider pre-loading a portion of the file though. This way, it can continue loading as the viewer watches the movie. Since you have 3000 frames, you might want to pre-load the first 750 frames and then it might finish loading before it reaches the end. It really depends on what part of your movie is the largest in file size. I recommend using "Control/Test Movie" to figure this out. Make sure you "View Streaming" though.

Good luck,

Scott (Stinger)
    IP