Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been very busy lately so I've missed a lot of great glass & gel threads. My wife has a set of engraved green glasses that were her grandmothers. I thought I'd have a go at reproducing one. I used shades of a colour so recolouring was a single step.
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasses.jpg 
Views:	576 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	14133  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I've been very busy lately so I've missed a lot of great glass & gel threads. My wife has a set of engraved green glasses that were her grandmothers. I thought I'd have a go at reproducing one. I used shades of a colour so recolouring was a single step.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, they are very nice and very glassy looking. One thing that sort of bothers me is the thick arc under the squarish (is that a word?) design.

Is that part of the cut glass or is it suppose to be a reflection?

Judi
    No, the glass actually looks like this. The base has a green colour whilst it fade to clear at the rim. This gives it the strange arc of colour pulling up the glass. For once I drew from eye rather than having a photo as a guide, but this is the effect of that actually occurs due to the colour being in the base only.

I believe another reason for this strong reflection is that the glass is very small, you can just fit your thumb in it

Thanks for your comments.
    Egg

[This message was edited by Egg Bramhill on April 05, 2001 at 08:45 PM.]
    Egg

Hello Egg,

Glad to see you back in the forum. The glasses are excellent! If I didn't know better, I would say they were a photograph.

Thanks for giving us something to aspire to.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I thought they were a photo to begin with. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Really cool drawings [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Phil

A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep. W.H. Auden, 1907-73
    Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Truly amazing work Egg, thanks for submitting them. These glasses and Gary’s glass
    disks are wonderful.

Bob C. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Great looking cut glass effect, Mr. Egg.

Only criticism I have is the very bottom of the glass, the solid base. I tried (unsuccessfully) to illustrate what I think should appear in the base.

The bottom portion of a solid glass glass has a myriad of elliptical shapes/reflections that add to the transparency and glassyiness of the object, but I must be off my game today. (I've been fighting with Flash trying to figure out why the conference and guest tutorial buttons don't work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Either So Humble...

Thanks all for your comments.
    Iknow what your getting at Gary, I wasn't to happy about the base either. As I look at the glass (in the same lighting as last night, I realised that I had missed a few reflective details out, and whilst I've tried to reproduce them I'm still not happy. The strange shadow / reflections on the very base of the glass are far darker than I've reproduced them, they also have a very definitive edge, but if I try to reproduce this it looks to false and vector like.

I also tried to do the shadow, which being a shadow produced thru glass is very odd. The Green colour was only present in the extreme bottom of the shadow, the rest being a very grey mix, but I gave up on this as nothing looked correct.

Hopefully I'll photograph the glass in the same lighting and see what others can make of it.

P.S. I hope thats not my guest tutorial thats still causing you grief?

Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glasses3.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	14155  
    Egg

The glass looks much better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> P.S. I hope thats not my guest tutorial thats still causing you grief? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not your, it's the Flash buttons on the home page. Wayne (IVCA) fixed them for me.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...