Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Jonathan

Well here is my first draft of Jonathan.

I like it but do think it needs a lot of work still.

All feedback welcome and greatfully received.

Turan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jonathan.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	640  

Well here is my first draft of Jonathan.

I like it but do think it needs a lot of work still.

All feedback welcome and greatfully received.

Turan

See below.

Name:	Jonathanphoto.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	6593  

Nice work Turan!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Did you wish to go for even more realism? The portrait looks great like this---the simpler style is very attractive!!! If you wish to get it more like the photo then, if it were I to work on it, I'd lighten the lips coloration, and apply more shading to round out the face/cheek on the right side (some more highlight and shadow, but subtle tones) and the crease in the cheek near the mouth I'd taper at both ends and make thinner and lighter in color, applying transparency over parts of it near the ends to fade these somewhat. The amount of blending you've done on the left side is good, just a bit more to soften the edges between the colors. I'd add some reflection/highlights to the sunglasses lenses so they appear less flat and also add some highlighting around the frames so the lenses and frames look less "one-piece". If you wished for the hair to be worked on, use a little more shading, some darker areas in the shaded half to round that area, a few more highlights at front and top, a bit more hair details. I have to say, though, that I like this style as it is, and it all depends on what your goal is.
    Very nice work, Turan!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Turan

I like what you have done so far.

Now comes the hard part :-) Getting the hard-edged features to look soft.

Young persons have such soft and almost delicate features. And skin tones are very pale and almost translucent. Getting to this step is not easy, but certainly well worth shooting for.

And you have an excellent start.

I do agree with Maya that you could sign the image and leave it as it is. But taking it to the next step can be a real learning experience.

BTW A tip: If you import the photo image into Bryan Etherington's XPal you will get a palette of colors including some very good flesh tones to use on your image.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Hi Turan,

I too like your picture as it is but as Maya said, if you want to take it further towards the photo effect you need to apply transparency as well as lots of feathering to the shading.

The hardest part for me was deciding when to stop 'improving' it.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Hi Turan,

I like your portrait of Jonathan. It is an excellent portrait as it is now. If you wish to make it more "photographic" then Maya, Gary, and Christine have given excellent advice.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks for the support.

I think the trick - which others have done - is at some point, forget the photo (i.e. don't show it).

It's that final blending/smoothing step that kills me. I can't feather as the shadow is usually sharp on one side and soft on the other.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll have to stop trying to get it photo perfect and just work of the softing up on sharp areas.

The mouth was the first bit I did and your right looking at it in the context of the fuller picture it need toning done.

Thanks,

Turan

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I just want to say I can see a big improvement in this image over the one of your little girl you posted last year.

One hint that works for me is put the painting away for awhile. The next time I work on it I see details I totally missed before.

Judi

My Stuff

Turan to get the effect of a sharp edge on one side and soft on the other you need to use at least 2 shapes (same shape)

the first should be feathered and the second have either linear or elliptical transparency offset towards the sharper edge see attached example.

Christine

Name:	fade_one_side.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	11688  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365