Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xaranova

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I was very impressed with all the quickshape generated stars inspired by Bill's sparkly 'Bayside' image. I was inspired to play with the tool too.

This image also started out as a quickshape star (30 points and a tight centre) that was given a bitmap fill. The star was cloned and a blend created between the two stars. That blend was selected along with a small circle and then clicking on the blend tool's 'blend along a curve' it was possible to attach the blend to the small circle for a spirograph-like effect. I then gave the result a shadow (the shadow colour is yellow) which was set to be quite blurred and I positioned it directly behind the star for a glow effect. The result was cloned and put behind and rotated it slightly. While that clone was still selected I applied feathering - that's what created the funky yellow plasma flares.

To finish off the image I drew the yellow sphere and gave it a blury black shadow, again positioned like a glow.

If anyone is interested in how the unusual bevel on the text was created - just ask.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xaranova2.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	5316  

I was very impressed with all the quickshape generated stars inspired by Bill's sparkly 'Bayside' image. I was inspired to play with the tool too.

This image also started out as a quickshape star (30 points and a tight centre) that was given a bitmap fill. The star was cloned and a blend created between the two stars. That blend was selected along with a small circle and then clicking on the blend tool's 'blend along a curve' it was possible to attach the blend to the small circle for a spirograph-like effect. I then gave the result a shadow (the shadow colour is yellow) which was set to be quite blurred and I positioned it directly behind the star for a glow effect. The result was cloned and put behind and rotated it slightly. While that clone was still selected I applied feathering - that's what created the funky yellow plasma flares.

To finish off the image I drew the yellow sphere and gave it a blury black shadow, again positioned like a glow.

If anyone is interested in how the unusual bevel on the text was created - just ask.

Regards, Ross

..just FANTASTIC,Ross!!

This is what I like to see here. As I mentioned
    in email...we're just 'scratching' the surface of Xara X.

Very powerful image...NICE.

walk softly at the edges...bill [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

OK Ross, you got me going...

[This message was edited by William R.Clegg on August 13, 2001 at 19:53.]

Name:	STARS.jpg 
Views:	632 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	11746  

Thanks Bill. I find it rather amusing to look back on my first impressions of Xara X. I liked the new tools but thought they were frills not all that important. Now I think the bevel, feather, and shadow tools help us redefine what a 'vector illustration' program is capable of. The xaranova is made up of just seven objects (not including the text).

Regards, Ross

Great designs Xarans.
    Nova trapped and formed by a Ddrak Iso Field!

Name:	iso44.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	10251  

Ross, I tried to do the star thing that you described (blend to path for spiro effect)...

... I ended up with this... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] ... I'm tired... going to be now... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Cool stuff guys!

I will amuse myself and the kids with some new spiro blends tomorrow... It is FUN!

Risto

Name:	fluffball.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	1207  

I just rolled my mouse down this thread and without even seeing your name, I knew this was a Risto Klint version of the star [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Nice images guys - even the fluff balls! Risto it appears your blend was between two different sized 'stars'. Mine were the same size.

Regards, Ross

and this is what happens...

Christine

Name:	stars.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	6328  
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Christine - Could they be alien footprints? Whatever they are the look very fluffy.

Regards, Ross