Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Possible bug in XX5 - bevels on groups error message

I've reported this bug to Xara, but I just wanted to give you a heads-up...

If you group objects and apply a bevel, an error message pops up saying that beveled objects cannot be ungrouped and to ungroup, you must remove the bevel.

However, this error message keeps popping up after everything else you do in XX5 until you remove the bevel. There's no other way I could find to stop the error message.

This problem doesn't occur on Soft Groups, so you can use bevels on them as a workaround.

I also tested this in XX4 Pro and I didn't get the error message.

Default Re: Possible bug in XX5 - bevels on groups error message

yes I see that - it seems the message continues to pop up whilst the bevelled group remains selected or if it is reselected with the bevel still in place
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well, I started XX5 again after rebooting, and this time, I only get the error message if I select the beveled group. Still annoying, but not as much as before.

When this first happened, I was getting the error message after deselecting the beveled group object and when selecting any other tool or menu. Maybe rebooting fixed that. I didn't reboot after registering XX5, and maybe something didn't get updated...

@pixeldust and @handrawm

Which CPU's are your PC's based on?

intel core 2 Duo E4500
    2GB RAM
    XP home SP3
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Some tests I've made on different machines here at home.

Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM Vista Ultimate. Bevel applied to a group opens warning message.

AMD Athlon 768MB RAM Vista Home Premium. Bevel applied to a group opens warning message.

AMD Athlon 256MB RAM Windows XP Pro. Bevel applied to a group opens warning message.

Intel Pentium III 256MB RAM Windows XP Pro. Bevel applied to a group DOES NOT open the warning message.

Tests made using Xtreme 5.1 Standard and Pro versions.

All versions of Windows have the most recent service pack for that OS.

Vista Service Pack 2. Windows XP Service Pack 3.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    @pixeldust and @handrawm

Which CPU's are your PC's based on?
    Mine's a Intel Core2Duo E6600, 2.4 GHz. I'm on Windows XP Pro, SP3.

I get the error message when dragging the bevel tool handles to create a bevel, and when clicking on the group afterwards.

I sent Xara support a sample file. They said they got the error message when they clicked on the beveled group, but they didn't get the repeated error when clicking on other tools, menus or objects like I got the first time.

Hi,
    I just tried on Intel Dual core e7300 cpu 2.66gh 4 MB memery and had no problems Windows XP
    JIm

Hello PixelDust,

Can you try a very simple sequence to find the minimum required to trigger the message? E.g. run Xtreme, draw two ellipses, group them, go to bevel tool, drag handle (or preferably select flat from bevel type drop-down). Can you also save your document before going into the bevel tool and post it here if this process does give the error (and also try loading the file into a fresh run of Xtreme and see if you still get the error when the bevel is applied)? If it doesn't give the error then please modify the process gradually to more mimic your usual method and post details of the steps you needed to take to get the error?

Thanks,
    Gerry

I followed your suggestions and here's what happened:

1. Open Xtreme Pro 5.
    2. Draw two ellipses.
    3. Group the ellipses.
    4. Save file.
    5. Select group with the Selection tool.
    6. Click on the Bevel tool.
    7. Drag the red bevel handles.
    8. The error message appears.
    9. Click OK on the error dialog box.
    10. Click on the Selection Tool.
    11. The error message appears again.
    12. Click OK on the error dialog box.
    13. Deselect the group.

If I don't deselect the group, and choose any tool while the group is still selected, I continue to get the error message until I deselect the group and then choose another tool.

However, If I deselect the group and then choose another tool, I won't get the error message.

I also tried your suggestion of selecting a flat bevel from the control bar rather than dragging the handles, and I got the error message.

I also tried loading the saved file into a new session of Xara Xtreme and the error message still persists.

By the way, by a "fresh run" do you mean I need to reinstall Xara Xtreme, or do you mean just starting up Xara for the first time in the day?

Also, in case it matters, I also have Xara Xtreme Pro 4 and Xara X1 installed.

I've attached the file.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files