Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Computer question

My friend's grandson made her a computer 2 years ago and charged her $650. She started it one day and the monitor did not recognize that it was connected and never came out of sleep mode. I just tried another monitor and it did the same thing.

Her grandson told her it was the motherboard. I had advised her to not have him make her one but she wanted to help him out financially. She now has a new HP for $450 that works perfectly for her email, letters and online canasta. That's all she needs. She gave me her dead computer.

When I start it all up, it says 'system fail VDATEC', through the speakers. Atec is the name on some Gateway speakers I have sitting on a shelf. Is it telling me that the speakers fail or is that something to do with the motherboard? Is a computer like this worth fixing? It has XP Pro on it.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Default Re: Computer question

Hi Nancy,

If your friend's grandson says it is the motherboard, it is most likey the cause of the problem.

Many motherboards have on board video chips and in the scenario you describe one or more of those chips has probably failed.

You can buy a video card and install it in the machine and probably use it without any problems if there is nothing else wrong on the motherboard.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Bill, that makes alot of sense. I wonder to myself if I still have my old ATI Radeon sitting around or did I toss it out when I replaced it....just for checking it out.

I can't discard anything until I'm sure it's completely busted. We have a monthly computer recycle area at the Kane County center so I never throw it in the garage. They recycle the parts and some machines are revamped and used for programs like the one for abused and battered women. It's a big help keeping so much from the landfills.

I had bad ram memory stick that caused a similar (though not exact) problem.
    Joe

sorry - are you saying you get an audio message - or one on the screen?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    sorry - are you saying you get an audio message - or one on the screen?
    Burpee quote: "When I start it all up, it says 'system fail VDATEC', through the speakers."

Stevej, audio messages normally comes through a speaker(s)... Audio is common for critical system failiures, as there might not be a way to get things to the screen as well.

Risto

tough then if, as as I suspect is the case in many instances, no speakers are connected
    Nothing lasts forever...

Many higher-end mainboards have synthesized voiceo alerts which use the on-board speaker. If external speakers are connected, it will use those instead.
    I have two ASUS boards myself which employ their 'Voice POST Reporter'.

It can be enabled or disabled in the BIOS setup.

ok - I only asked the question - thanks for the reply
    Nothing lasts forever...

I hooked up external speakers. I guess this thing is fried. I got rid of the extra, older sound card so I can't check that. I'll just send this to recycle but I may take some parts out of it first.