Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Xtreme Defaults

I am about to install another copy of Xara Xtreme shortly and I propose setting my defaults as follows:-
    Paper Size - A4 Landscape
    Page Unit - Pixels
    Colo(u)r Units - 0-255
    Major Spacing - 100pix
    Number of Subdivisions - 10
    and
    SS-Kalm's colour template

Are there any other defaults that you would recommend and why?

Also, I have noticed Talkgraphics users making use of the grey scrapboard? area for other purposes - can they elaborate how and why they make use of this area please?

Thank you

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Defaults

You can download a free copy of XaReg from Gary's XaraXone Shareware page: http://www.xaraxone.com/html/shareware.html

There are several settings you can make that are only available by editing the Registry. XaReg will make those changes for you.

I prefer the Galleries to not dock so I can move them to the paste board (gray area). That way they do not block any of the drawing area and can easily moved into and out of view.

I also prefer to have the ability for pages in a multiple page document to be different sizes.

By default the Shape Editor Tool makes curved nodes where if you curve one side of the node the other side curves the opposite direction. I prefer the nodes to be cusp nodes where only the side you actively curve chanages.

If you use a bitmap as a fill for a shape and you decide to try another bitmap by use drag and drop the fill handles will revert to their default positions. I prefer to have the fill handles remain as I selected with the previous bitmap fill.

All those settings and be made using XaReg without having to use Regedit and knowing where in the registry to make changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaReg_Vista.gif 
Views:	253 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	53898  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill, correct me if I am mistaken. I think one needs .net installed to use this applet.
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook

Yes John .net version 2 or newer to be exact. I believe that you are the only person using Windows that does not have .net installed though.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill... I never said I wasn't a little different.

Make sure you also select broadband (or whatever you have) for the download rate.

I use an outer margin of 4200 for the spread (gives me plenty of room around the page to move things around).

Make sure you select what you want for a default bitmap editor. (If you do a search here you will find a little applet that will let you pick the bitmap editor, or you can just leave it blank and you don't have to worry about XPE opening when you accidently double click)

Make sure "delete unused colors" is unselected or else most of your pallette will go bye-bye.

I usually open the (window=>control bars) and add the arrange toolbar and then button gallery and throw a couple of the most commonly used buttons on a new toolbar. See attached...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 buttonbars.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	53942  
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook