Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: What feature used when creating web pages would you like to see in Xara Xtreme?

Voters
146. This poll is closed
  • Page/site upload (FTP)

20 13.70%
  • Style editor (CSS)

67 45.89%
  • Embedding of dynamic content (eg. Google Maps, Google Adwords, YouTube videos)

32 21.92%
  • Integrated javascript libraries/components (eg. prototype, extjs, mootools, etc.)

27 18.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What feature used when creating web pages would you like to see in Xara Xtreme?

Please select the feature most useful to you.

Anyone can post in this thread and vote in the poll, even if you're not registered. But registering is recommended.
    Last edited by webmaster; 22 May 2008 at 10:07 AM.
    IP

Default Re: What feature used when creating web pages would you like to see in Xara Xtreme?

Embedding of dynamic content.
    IP

Default Re: What feature used when creating web pages would you like to see in Xara Xtreme?

I would have voted for 3 of them if given the chance. What I would not like to see is more development given to HTML export and its functionality than to some areas in the Vector Tools development like proper vector brushes, oh I could go on.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Wayne Rose Guest

My two cents:

1. There's no point in having a website upload feature (especially if it sets proprietary parameters that can't be accessed, like NetObjects Fusion does) - using an FTP client, such as FileZilla, is a piece of cake, or a lot of people don't know that you can easily use your browser to FTP, by just logging in to your webhost in your browser and dragging/dropping your files.

2. The other three features offered in the poll would be useful, but not the most urgently needed IMO.

3. I recently rebuilt my site in Xara Xtreme, primarily because I like the design freedom it offers, as well as the open access to the html, once the files have been created. What is sorely lacking within Xara, however, is the ability to create frames (either using CSS or old-fashioned framesets, which still have their advantages btw), i.e., to be able to create scrollable headers, footers, or side borders to contain those snazzy navbar/menus you guys offer would be a big plus in bringing the look of Xara created websites up to the current web standard.

Cheers
    IP

To create websites for the current webstandard you shouldn't use Graphic Tools with a litte HTML export functionality. Instead you should use Content Management Systems (CMS) or Weblog-Systems or tools to build a Web 2.0-Site.

HTML-Framesets are the worst you could do for a modern website.

Remi
    IP

btw: Integrating JavaScript frameworks in a really useful way means, that you would be able
    • to use animation effects (like fade-in, fade-out, ...) within your Website,
    • insert Charting tools,
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dojotoolkit_web_2_0_ui_2.png 
Views:	870 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	49300
    • insert and animate interactive Vector graphics,
    • as well as specialized input elements like a WYSIWYG-Texteditor, a TabContainer, a Menu, a Toolbar, a ColorPalette, a Grid, a Tree or a Picture-Show
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dojotoolkit_web_2_0_ui.png 
Views:	1202 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	49299

All this without the necessity to use different vendors like Google.

I'm not sure, if Xara is really able to offer such features within Xara Xtreme (and as Peter (Albacore) said: it's more important to enhance the vector tools).

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 22 May 2008 at 05:25 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I would have voted for 3 of them if given the chance. What I would not like to see is more development given to HTML export and its functionality than to some areas in the Vector Tools development like proper vector brushes, oh I could go on.
    Exactly! XaraPro is a vector drawing programme and that's what I use it for, and I love it! For HTML and CSS (what little I do of it) I use other tools and I swap back and forth between Xara and CS3. Xara is a second rate photo/image editor - how can it be otherwise really? But as a vector drawing programme it leaves everything else in the dust.

Please don't get distracted away from the core of Xara.

In peace

Brett
    IP

YES PLEASE
    1.HTML preview.. without having to export everytime we test a change,
    especially useful and encouraging when trying to learn/test changes..faster creates more freeflow working. just like other xara tools.

other small bits:
    2.TAB to hide/show menu`s,

3. Default menu set up, like if I want the bitmap, layer and name gallery to open up on sides and fullscreen program on opening, instead of all open hanging windows.

4. in illustrator you can adjust the transition between multiple colours on a gradient map with sliders between the colour diamonds. this gives total control over those adjustments. In xara you can only adjust a slider between 2 colours. if you add colours to the gradient fill line you cannot adjust the transition between those to colours. This is very useful! gives even more control

5. In illustrator you can select a bunch of nodes on an object and they have fall off in strength depending on how far they are from the node/point the pointer is dragging. so it has a gum or elastic stretch effect, the nodes closer to the pointer are more influenced in the drag/move, in xara the best we can do is group a single object and warp it, but it doesnt give you a cartoon like stretch effect which would be good for animating simple faces and characters in flash or even static cartoon poses.

6. get the ctrl shift L alignment tool to be realtime, so that any adjustments
    update in document window so we understand exactly what is taking place,
    and can control z to undo it, and try another option, this makes the alignment tool in line with the other tools as direct action which is awesome as alignment tool is very powerful when we can do this and get realtime feedback. right now I`m still guessing as to whats going to happen and have to close dialogue box and ctrl z just to undo say if I choose align centrally and it overlaps everything..

7. (tough ask) get Adobe to rewrite flash so we can interpolate tween blend between objects with different node point structure. Maybe this is more a raster after effects gig and not possible with vector objects..
    IP

alanendless Guest

Please do not drift to far away from the fact that this is a vector draw package that I personly been ussing from day one all those years ago.

Ensure that this program stays at the for front of its technologies with of course add ons that make a designer job easier.

Every one that I show this progrsm to is spell bound.

Keep up the good work.

Very Best Regards Alan
    IP

CSS seems most in line with the fact that Xtreme is design tool. With all the cross browser CSS/HTML idiosyncrasies, having a CSS editor that made it easier would be welcome, if Xtreme is to migrate more in that direction. But I agree that it should be first and foremost a graphics tool (first vector and then bitmap where appropriate).

For Windows users, you can open two Windows Explorer windows, one local and one to your FTP site, and drag and drop your files from your hard drive to your website. I don't see the need for FTP in Xtreme.
    IP