Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Charles,

I work for the IT dept. in a medium sized company. One of the issues raised recently was that Microsoft has apparently dropped its Photo Editor from Office 2003. Would XPE be considered a functional replacement?

Thanks,

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hello Steven,

I have only used the MS Photoeditor from office 97. Unless microsoft upgraded the features to this program since that time, then I would say XPE could easily do more.
    John/DOT

I'm not clear as to exactly what MS photo editor you are referring to. Is this the editor you see when you edit a photo in Word, or do you mean a separate photo editing app that's (was) part of Office 2003? Or is this the Windows Picture Viewer that's part of Windows XP you are referring to (I guess not as that's not really an editor, just a viewer).

Point me at exactly which MS Photo Editor you are referring to and I can give you a more definitive answer.

I haven't yet heard specifically what the concerns are for us, but I presume it is related to this:

Microsoft Photo Editor Is Removed When You Install Office 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817095

SYMPTOMS
    When you install Microsoft Office 2003, the Setup program removes all the standard components from Microsoft Office XP that were installed on your computer. This includes the Microsoft Photo Editor program.

CAUSE
    Microsoft has replaced Photo Editor with a new photo editing and cataloging program in Office 2003: Microsoft Office Picture Manager.

===

Might be worth looking into if whatever MS replaced it with is less functional.

I think that XPE does everything that "Office 2003: Microsoft Office Picture Manager" offers, except perhaps the "Red eye remover". Screenshots below, the options do pretty much what they say on the tin.

I think that Microsoft forgot about the user interface though, I would say that XPE knocks the pants off this Office software in terms of usability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mspmshots.gif 
Views:	4656 
Size:	172.4 KB 
ID:	16966  

I installed MS Office 2003. I don't have Picture Manager. Where does one get this little gem?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carygee:
    I installed MS Office 2003. I don't have Picture Manager. Where does one get this little gem? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, it's just there for me! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have Office 2003 Pro installed onto Windows XP Pro as an upgrade from Office XP Pro (ie, with Access). I always do a "Full Install", perhaps you did a "Default" install?

Its .exe is C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOFFICE11OIS.exe if that helps

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Ummm... Carygee, Daniel...

Why in the world would anybody want anything from microsoft dealing with graphics? Micosoft Photo anything is an oxymoron.

Graphics is something microsoft gave up many, many years ago. Graphics demand precision, accuracy and it has to work also. Things microsoft has no knowledge of.
    John/DOT