Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question How can I create gradient fills?

I have a need to create a 2-color gradient fill for an animated 3D text item. The logo I'm working on has 2 lines of text. Each line has a different color gradient. I've created the logo in Xara Extreme. I've tried to recreate it in Xara3D6 as well as import it from Xara Extreme. In either case, I lose the gradient(s).

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong, if anything? Is this even possible?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.gif 
Views:	386 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	32574  

Default Re: How can I create gradient fills?

You will lose some aspects of gradient fill because GIF has a max of 256 colors. Gradient Fills are usually associated with 24 bit which GIF can't handle.

What I did is just made a rectangle bigger than my object in Xara 3D, then save it as a jpeg. I imported the jpeg into Xara 3D to use as a texture.

You will probably notice some lines on the GIF animation because it is 256 colors.

You can use flash, but your file size will be quite large and I believe you must use Flash 8 or higher.

Oh yeah, you can use the lights in Xara 3D to simulate gradient fills.

Name:	testgradient.gif 
Views:	549 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	32576  

Here's a xara3d file and the gradient I used.

Under Texture options

Take a look at the percentage I used. You will probably have to rotate your gradient fill around to get the desired results.

Try playing around with the lights using warm colors red-orange.

Name:	test orange.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	6.3 KB 
ID:	32579  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome Jlewinsk,

Further to James posts above:-

As you're probably aware already it's not possible to apply a gradient fill directly. The way to do it then is to apply it via the Text Texture option.

As you've already created the logo in Xtreme, select both lines of text and choose File / Export and choose PNG at 96dpi and save it as "myTextTexture.png".

Now open Xara 3D Open the View / Text Texture and this opens a browse window. Find your "myTextTexture.png" and hit Open. This will apply the texture. You may need to do some adjustment to get the texture to apply correctly, but normally a texture generated this way fits perfectly into Xara3D.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ok, cool! So I am on the right track, now. Thanks so much for your quick replies JAMESMC and EGG BRAMHILL. I'll let you know how it works out later on.

Yep! That did the trick! I just need to tinker with the size(s) of the texture file(s) and I'm in like Flint!

Thanks guys!