Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Javascript or Flash?

I wonder if Javascript can be passed over, since all the rollovers and dynamic content can be done with flash which does not distinct between browsers and Operating systems. The content can be actually linked from an external source (like loadMovie, loadVariables and such) and easily replaced by a user who has no knowledge of Actionscript or flash.

Anyone disagree?
    IP

Default Re: Javascript or Flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Availor View Post
    Anyone disagree?
    Yes. Because I wonder, if Flash can be passed over, since all the rollovers and dynamic content can be done with JavaScript and it's no real problem for a experienced developer to code CrossBrowser compatible JavaScript. Some AJAX driven applications set a new trend in developing RichClients with JavaScript.

Would you disagree, if I say, you're able to replace Flash with JavaScript? I think so, because you like/knows Flash more than JavaScript. Am I right? And it's the same with PHP vs. Java developers and .NET vs. J2EE developers and Oracle vs. DB2 database experts and Apple vs. Windows users and so on...

I think, you've got the point. Each software has it's own fans. The art of programming is not to replace one technique/language with another, but to learn each software in detail and beeing able to combine the best parts of them to a better application - if necessary.

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 17 August 2006 at 10:55 AM.
    IP

I can see where using specific Java scripts to do just one type of thing and just that. It is less intimidating, less to learn, find a script that is ready to go, copy and paste and attach pictures as necessary.

Of course Flash is better in the long run, but many people aren't going to jump right in because for one, they need the program, and for another, they may know no one to ask.

As more and more people move up and away from dial up, their sites will be seen irregardless of content that is not all that optimized. They stick with the tried and true, even though the whole internet experience was not ever embrassed by my parents, they never even owned a computer.

My kids and I enjoy it, my husband like photography and sending email. But he is still more or less suspicious of it, even though it is because of the computer and what I've learned that I have my current job.

Pre-packaged is the way to go for many, because they like the convenience,
    but for the ones who want to be more creative, then Flash definitely is what they are going to want.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Well maybe you are right about passing over javascript: Actionscript is something I know (more or less) and javascript is something I have no clue over (Until I learn it in 4 months during my course).

Nevertheless, flash enables me to create passwords, movies, dynamic content and prevent from people view my sourcecode.
    IP

And whats more simple than using a Style Sheet to do the same thing.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

So tell us all the wonders of style sheets and how it can replace all of everything that flash and java script does.
    Last edited by sallybode; 18 August 2006 at 03:14 AM.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Sorry wont explain nav bars with CSS today but have a look at this site which I just came across which I think for a change shows Flash beating JS as a speed checker would normally use java to upload and download and it looks good aswell: http://www.speedtest.net/.

Will post a link on CSS tomorrow.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Albacore, I am also a fan of a simple HTML and CSS with pictures, but it does not let you put any dynamic stuff there. The most you can do with CSS is a tabbed navigation from lists.
    IP