Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you looking forward to Windows Vista?

Voters
380. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I can't wait to buy it

92 24.21%
  • No, I'm happy with what I've got

288 75.79%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Are you looking forward to Windows Vista?

The successor to Windows XP, Windows Vista, is set for release in 2007.

Will you upgrade, or are you happy with what you've got?

Are there any particular features that you're looking forward to?

Are you worried your PC won't be up to the job?

How do you see the future of operating systems?

You can post in this thread and vote in the poll, even if you're not registered. But registering is recommended.
    Last edited by AntonyF; 30 June 2006 at 10:16 AM.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

Unregistered Guest

Wink Re: Are you looking forward to Windows Vista?

No, I am not excited about Vista. I still very much enjoy XP and to this day still find new and useful functions. Besides, having state-of-the-art is not always what it is cracked up to be...or in this case what it is touted to be. Remember Win ME...a prelude to spending more money to upgrade out of what was basically a computer nightmare.
    IP

Default Re: Are you looking forward to Windows Vista?

i actually tried the beta vista for a while

i LOVED the tabbed windows

i did NOT LIKE the fact that it would completely wipe out all my cookies all the time - even though i use another prg to choose which to keep and which not to
    so... i would have to continuously log in and add pswds to many sites i frequent, including this one

so i got rid of the beta vista
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    No, I am not excited about Vista. I still very much enjoy XP and to this day still find new and useful functions. Besides, having state-of-the-art is not always what it is cracked up to be...or in this case what it is touted to be. Remember Win ME...a prelude to spending more money to upgrade out of what was basically a computer nightmare.
    I registered with TalkGrapics.com a short time ago. My member name is DoubleRJ, and I'm happy to be a member of this community.

RJ
    IP

I love new technology. I understand there will be glitches but...

I think the new file system and organization will help with finding and organizing files.

The speech recognition brings it up a level. I hope it is extremely powerful and adaptive to third party software. I can imagine 'training' the speech software in Xara to 'open sphere' 'convert to editable shapes' 'move right 100 pixels.' Getting closer to the Star Trek computer.

I think the new DVD burning will help out, albeit Windows proprietary burning method. I am also somewhat worried that older DVD recorders may not work as some have reported.

Lastly, I hope the price is reasonable. I plan on getting the Windows Vista Ultimate, or whatever they are calling the Windows XP Pro equivalent.
    IP

I have mixed feelings about Vista. Being a network administrator I understand that I will eventually have some boxes with Vista, simply when a box has to be replaced.

I have not seen any new features in XP or Vista that qualify as a reason to upgrade. Security changes in XP and those anticipated in Vista are more for the publicity angle (and a point of frustration as Bob mentioned ) instead of a true network security point of view.

Vista has some very big resource requirements. If you have a machine that meets the very minimum requirements for Vista, you may as well keep XP as most of the new features will not work. The recommended requirements would be a very basic starting point so that all the new features will function. Get the biggest hard drive and the maximum amount of RAM you can afford (don't use anything less than 1GB of RAM). Make sure your video card can handle DirectX in hardware and have a minimum of 256MB of video RAM. If you can afford those standards you will truely see the benefits of Vista's new features. Oh, almost forgot that you must have a DVD drive to install Vista. It can be an external drive, but there are no plans to distribute the OS on multiple CD disks. You will also need a minimum of 15 GB of free hard drive space if you plan on installing on your current PC.

Download the hardware evaluator to see if your current PC can be used for Vista http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx
    Last edited by Soquili; 29 June 2006 at 09:51 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Who needs Windows given that Xara LX will probably be fully functional by the time Vista is released?
    IP

Unregistered Guest

I just received the DVD from Microsoft.

Installed it along side my normal XP on an older machine and it installed with out a hitch. Looks and operated differently but takes longer to start and shut down than did XP

Anyways have to load a few programs and see how it handles old stuff
    IP

tarunkrsna Guest

I use XP Pro because it's the latest and therefore best supported OS into future years but to be blunt about it, I switch off all the eye candy and run it in traditional view.
    As a web "designer" who's more technically inclined than design oriented (I found myself configuring JavaScript rollovers and such when I still had hardly any knowledge of html 4.0) all I really need is a fast secure reliable OS.
    As far as Vista is concerned, I don't really want all the 3D pretty in pink stuff nor the voice recognition software, and since most of the really techie stuff that Microsoft System Engineers and Admin guys play with is out of my league a new version of XP without any bugs and without being in need of constant updates would suit me fine.
    I wonder if Vista will have the same eternal update download syndrome that we've almost become accostomed to with X flamin' P.
    Pardon my scepticism but remember that we have to pay for the software we use, including Vista when I have to get it (not another reinstall!!!), oh the joys of using pcs in the new millenium.
    tarun
    IP

It sounds cool, all the new stuff sounds neat to play with, but I know I can't afford it now, neither the operating system itself, nor all the upgrades to make it worth getting in the first place!

It's so easy to get excited about the latest 'new thing'... I'm trying to break myself of that and get more use out of programs I already have!
    IP