Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Claddagh

Default Claddagh

A quicky for Valentines Day (No pun intended).

Hexagon+Carrara.

Some facts about the Claddagh ring:

An old Irish symbol for love, friendship and loyalty.

First crafted some 400 years ago in a fishing village called Claddagh.

Worn on the right hand w/ crown turned inward = Heart is still unoccupied.

Worn on the right hand w/ crown turned outward = Love is being considered.

Worn on the left hand w/ crown turned outward = Heart is truly spoken for.

I don't were a claddagh ring myself, but if I did, it would be on my left hand. I am truly blessed with a wonderful wife.

Thanks for letting me share.

~Liam~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Claddagh-jpeg.jpg 
Views:	3086 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	23516  

Default Re: Claddagh

Very nice modeling. I like your lighting for this very much also.

Thanks for the information about the Claddagh ring. A friend told me about them many years ago and I had forgotten until your post.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Very nice render. And you say it's your weakest point?
    OT, but what if the ring is worn on left hand with crown turned inward? That description seemed to be missing...

It means your married but still like a little action on the side.

I'm kidding of course. Typicaly, you would wear it on the right/inward when a friend or someone your dating gives it to you. Right/outward when your engaged. Swap it over to the left when your married as a wedding band. Left/outward is just the correct way of wearing it. As in, outward, for the world to see.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

~Liam~

Oh wait. I seem to recall my great grandmother wearing hers on her left hand/inward after becoming a widow.

That makes a little more sense.

~Liam~

Nice bracelet... and thanx Tirade, for the background on this jewlery

GMan, the latest versions of Carrara really make things easy with the newer presets... one light, two light, three light etc...

and the new widgits really make for ease in use for setting things up in a scene...

I will post a couple of screenshots...

Presets, that's one thing sorely lacking in Blender. You have to set up everything from scratch, or create files specifically for that to append your objects into. Sounds very convenient. Is it something like Bryce?
    About time you post something, Gidgit. Sometimes I wonder if you abandoned doing graphics altogether.... .

Thats a very nice ring you made Liam. Thanks for the history. How do you pronounce Claddagh?
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 18 February 2006 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks Gidgit and Mike.

Oh boy, the correct pronunciation is a bit of a debate. Some say Clad-daw. Some say Clad-ah. Others say Clod-uh.

Some use a hard "C" others use a soft "C". Mostly americans use the soft "C" though. They do the same when pronouncing Celtic. Which is wrong, it's a hard "C". This misconception mostly comes from the Bostic Celtics pro basketball team.

My grandmother, who came to this country by boat pronounced it Clod-uh, with a hrad "C". So thats the way I pronounce it.

Funny story:
    When my grandmother and her brother first came to this country, they came by a boat that was packed like sardines with other Irishmen. There wasn't alot of food and the journey was very rough and alot did not make it. Luckily, both my grandmother and her brother survived the trip. When they got here, fruit was being passed out by the Americans. My grandmother got her hands on a bannana. She had never seen a bannana before but was so hungry she just ate it. She was almost done before someone expalined to her that your supposed to peel it first.

~Liam~

Hahaha .
    Lucky they didn't hand out pineapples, though. The consequences would have been tragic...