Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Why not QT 4?

Default Why not QT 4?

Since Xara LX is going to be released under gpl v.2, why Xara developers/engineers decided to use wxWidgets instead of the more advanced QT 4 GUI toolkit?
    Imho, QT 4 has a clearer design, more features (like true MDI support) and a better GUI builder.
    Of course I don't know Xara LX in deep, so I would be glad to hear from Xara developers the technical reasons for this decision.
    Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Why not QT 4?

We evaluated both Qt and WxWidgets, and found the Wx was perfectly suited. We had some issues with Qt, such as the fact it sort of emulates native platform look rather than being truly native. Secondly there are licensing issues relating to commercial versions (we intend to continue to selling commercial Windows versions, and quite possibly even Linux and Mac ones). There was another issue relating to window docking - wxAUI appears to provide better bar and window docking than you get in Qt.

But broadly speaking these can be overcome I'm sure, and Wx is not without issues as well. But we had to pick one. It maybe that Qt is just as good, but it's not the route we've gone down. Nothing stopping people (once we make the code open-source) replacing the Wx layer with a Qt based one if they so wish.
    IP