Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Need Spot Colors In PDF

I create all of my work in Pagemaker 6.5. Often they are 5 color jobs (not CMYK, but Spot Colors). The account needs specific spot colors. I select the spot colors from the "Define Colors" menu. I then save the job and print the job to a postscript file. Then, using Acrobat, I create a PDF file for my commercial printer. He keeps telling me the file is set up as Process (CMYK) and not spot colors. What am I doing wrong??? I have checked "leave colors unchanged" - but I still end up with a CMYK job for my printer. Please help me, this is driving me crazy! Also, when I use black, they tell me its set up as Process. How do I correct this?
    Thanks so much!

Default Re: Need Spot Colors In PDF

I am sorry to say I haven't used Pagemaker so I don't know how the colour palettes or the export filter works. When you import the file into Acro., you don't mean Adobe Reader, go to the Advanced part of the menu and go out on Print Production and then select Output Preview and then you'll see if your spot colours information are included. You can also see the same information about your colour palette if you select Ink Manager. It is my recollection, seeing it used in schools, that as well as saving your data to .eps that you also had to run it through Distiller to get the RIP data but it was 10 years ago the last time I had to sort out this type of problem. You can also check if there are going to be problems in your final PDF by running a Prefilght from the same part of the Advance menu in your Print Production Menu. On the Black ink, Process Black means that it is a Rich Black as well as a large proportion of K it also has a smaller amount of C, M, Y, as well. If you keep the total values of your Process black under 300% when all of them are added together that should be fine. Go on to the Adobe site and see if you can get any info on using Spot Colours in Pagemaker would be my next advice but since it is not sold any more this might be harder to do. If I can be any help using Acro Pro I will try my best as it is one of my favourite programmes.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Having the PDF might help us to check the output if you do not have the full Acrobat.

I have attached a couple of screen shots of using the Output Preview command in Acrobat 9 Pro. I have deselected the process plates (used in the calibration marks).

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Output Preview_2011-03-08_05-48-20.png 
Views:	387 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	80346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	output_preview.png 
Views:	461 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	80347  

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Having the PDF might help us to check the output if you do not have the full Acrobat.

I have attached a couple of screen shots of using the Output Preview command in Acrobat 9 Pro. I have deselected the process plates (used in the calibration marks).

Take care, Mike
    Hi Mike - I bought the Adobe 9 Pro today. So hopefully, when you explain it'll make more sense to me. I've taken a very basic job where I have colored the three lines as 3 separate spot colors (or so I think!!). When I go into "Advanced", Output it shows I have CMYK. How do I maintain the spot colors OR change the process to Spot in the PDF?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello blazer,

Ok. I have attached a new XAR file, a pdf and some screen shots. Make sure to change your printer being used to the Adobe PDF driver.

Also, an apology. In the former reply, I had recycled a work-around for another application for outputting spot seps. I sort of got lost which application I used for the demonstration. We can blame that on old age, or recovering from a heart attack (sort of related I suppose).

In the print dialog, change to the Adobe PDF driver. Click on options. Go to the separations tab and select to do separations. All inks used will be listed and in your file, all are likely selected. In my attached file, I think only the spots will be selected. (Note to Xara: make this dialog able to be resized or simply larger...)

The Image Setting tab controls what information will also be printed. As I elected to print to US Letter size, I made the page in XDP6 smaller so the information will print.

And simply print. You should get the same result as I have in the attached PDF. Each color on its own plate with the color name in the information section.

You should ask your print provider whether they would also want a "composite" version PDF. Mine usually do so they can compare the results.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print_options_01.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	80370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	print_options_02.png 
Views:	315 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	80371  

Did a bit of digging to find your answer! Have a look here, it should help: http://www.ps.missouri.edu/ps2/suppo...Tutorial2.html
    Also there is a Google book of Adobe's Classroom book for Pagemaker 7 and it can be seen here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=P...page&q&f=false

Hope this helps and if you don't have the Pantone libraries please come back
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Hello blazer,

Ok. I have attached a new XAR file, a pdf and some screen shots. Make sure to change your printer being used to the Adobe PDF driver.

Also, an apology. In the former reply, I had recycled a work-around for another application for outputting spot seps. I sort of got lost which application I used for the demonstration. We can blame that on old age, or recovering from a heart attack (sort of related I suppose).

In the print dialog, change to the Adobe PDF driver. Click on options. Go to the separations tab and select to do separations. All inks used will be listed and in your file, all are likely selected. In my attached file, I think only the spots will be selected. (Note to Xara: make this dialog able to be resized or simply larger...)

The Image Setting tab controls what information will also be printed. As I elected to print to US Letter size, I made the page in XDP6 smaller so the information will print.

And simply print. You should get the same result as I have in the attached PDF. Each color on its own plate with the color name in the information section.

You should ask your print provider whether they would also want a "composite" version PDF. Mine usually do so they can compare the results.

Take care, Mike
    Thanks, Mike.
    I managed to get the PDF of my job as separated spot colors. NOW, how do I also give my printer a composite, but using only the Spot colors and NOT the CMYK. Or, is there a way to combine the PDF separated file into a composite??
    Thanks - I feel like I'm finally making some progress!

Mike - I attached the separated PDF file of my job (it is perfect with 6 spot color plates). I've also attached the composite PDF file (it comes up CMYK - however, the PostScript file was 6 spot color plates). What am I doing wrong????
    Thanks - and I know what you mean about getting old. Sorry about the heart attack - hope my problems don't give me one!

Hi Blazer--use the Export menu selection. Choose PDF as the export type. Accept the defaults (at least I didn't change them).

Open the PDF in Acrobat. Choose the separation preview. You should see the Pantone inks.

Take care, Mike

I should add that for the composite that your printer may not care that it is a Pantone composite. As a composite, it is really a representation of how the final should look.

That said, the composite also can be used by the printer for outputting directly to the film as they can control the ink output individually.

Oh. Another thing. Some of the inks should be set for trapping. With the composite they can deal with it. Trapping allows a little smidgen for one color (or more) to slightly overlap another color so registration does not have to be more precise than their equipment can handle.

For your composite, I would ask your printer which colors should have trapping, if any.

take care, Mike