Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Merge PSD files into one file?

Hello,
    Is it possible to merge several psd files into one file? so all the layers from all the files come into one document?

problem:
    im trying to create a sprite sheet with a ship rotating 360 degrees, so i created 36 duplicates of one ship image and rotated each 10 degrees, so now i have 36 layers of each with a different frame for rotation, now all i need to do is put them side by side!

what im trying:
    i took all those layers, put them into a long enough image to contain them all side by side, then went to image ready, put all the layers on one side, and then made a new animation frame and put all the layers on the other side, then tweened them. this gave me all of them side by side perfectly in seperate frames of animation what i really want to do is bring all those frames onto one sheet, so i exported them as files and now need to bring them all together!

if anyone can tell me how to merge the files or a better solution to my problem i will be very very grateful! Thank you for taking the time to read this post!!

thanks, Chris
    IP

Default Re: Merge PSD files into one file?

Open all your doc and then just drag and drop. Help files tell you many things.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Open all your doc and then just drag and drop. Help files tell you many things.
    This is what i wanted to avoid, because dragging and dropping would put the layers in slightly different positions, and doing it for 36 files would take along time i was really hoping for a neater solution/

In the end i took all the layers i already had, went through each layer and cntrl+right untill they were in the correct posistion it didnt actually take as long as i thought but its not really created a smooth effect, and to make sure they lined up correctly i had to fill the transparent background, then select that colour and delete it, wasn't good, i may have to spend sometime this afternoon creating a sprite...creator!

Thank you for your time
    IP

If you hold the 'Shift' key [?] when you drop, I believe it places the new stuff at the upper-left corner.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    If you hold the 'Shift' key [?] when you drop, I believe it places the new stuff at the upper-left corner.
    ah thanks, that is a handy tip, unfortunately for this i wanted each layer in to put into the same place it was originally, but this will be useful in future! thank you
    IP

If you select the move tool, then shift click in the layers palet all the layers you want aligned you can use the Align buttons(they are by the move tool presets) to put all the layers in the same place.
    IP

the align buttons dont really seem to do anything with my layers, annoying as there is an option "distribute layers to right edges" which sounds like it mite put everything side by side for me. They do align to the vertical centre nicely thought which is handy for sorting them out so thank you very much for the tip!

in the end i made a sprite creator, its not polished yet put it can take a directory of images and put them side by side, or take one image and make a sprite sheet of all rotations 360 degrees, it cant fully handle alpha yet but its getting there, if anyone is interested in it post here and ill send you it!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil View Post
    open up all your images then use the command on the PC (sorry I am unsure of the Mac commands. (I could check)
    CTRL + A will select the images one by one then you can drop them into your new document. You should get a marching ants box appear around the image!
    i.e we preset size 600 * 800 at 72 dpi resolution white background and drag the images 1 by one into it.

I hope it helps.
    IP

Smile Re: Merge PSD files into one file?

Quote Originally Posted by pixel_uk View Post
    open up all your images then use the command on the PC (sorry I am unsure of the Mac commands. (I could check)
    CTRL + A will select the images one by one then you can drop them into your new document. You should get a marching ants box appear around the image!
    i.e we preset size 600 * 800 at 72 dpi resolution white background and drag the images 1 by one into it.

I hope it helps.
    All CTRL + A does for me is select all the layers in the currect image, it doesnt want to select all images currently open. But its ok i decided to write a program that can take one image an turn it into a set of sprites with each degree of rotation or take a directory of images and put them side by side on a sprite sheet so i have a re-usable solution to my problem. Thank you however for your help with the subject it is much appreciated!

Thanks, Chris
    IP