Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New User Web Design 10 Premium

Is this where to post How Do I for the Web software?
    I posted this question using a ticket direct to Xara this past Monday but am still waiting for an answer. What is their normal turnaround time.
    The obvious problem with this method as opposed to phone or e-mail support is that one's work goes on hold while awaiting a response.

I'm in the process of going through the manual to learn the program and expect to start my Site soon. My previous experience with Web software has been FrontPage.
    I tried others but they were all disappointing. I'm expecting Xara will work out fine.

I have a few opening questions. Is it okay to submit them all at once here or preferable one at at a time ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I will be starting from scratch instead of using a template. How do I set up a Header. How about a Footer that will repeat on subsequent pages? The navigation bar will most likely be above the header.
    That is once I learn how to create one.

Is creating a rectangle the way to make a banner? Like maybe for a header. The headers will be different on each page.

I don't see a way to change the color of text from black.

When looking through the Design Gallery the pages of the various themes I clicked on stayed open. How are they closed?

Here is my current site which I will be recreating with this program. www.envirosnowmelt.com

Default Re: New User Web Design 10 Premium

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I have moved your post to the Xara Web Design Chat forum.

You can right click on any object and select Repeat on All Pages. This will make that object (header or footer for example) appear on all pages.

For a footer you need to right click and select Position on Page > and select Footer. This will maintain the same space from the bottom on all pages even if the page is longer or shorter.

Select the text, then click on any color on the screen palette and select Change Fill Color from the pop up menu. You can also edit the color in the Color Editor (press Ctrl + e)

The Galleries have little thumb tack icons on top. Click this icon to make the gallery remain open.

This should get you started.

I appreciate the response. Because I'm used to having had the simplicity of Front Page (RIP), this has been a challenge for me. Please understand.
    Once I'm rolling, I won't be pounding away with "How do I's." Meanwhile, just get started, like Step one, is an issue. Then do this.

How do I create a rectangle to use as a banner which will be a header for the first page? The term header may be incorrect as it will not be repeated. Only, of course, the nav buttons once I get to them.

Being new to WD10, why don't you start with a template that more or less fits your requirements and then modify it to suit?
    It should shorten your learning curve considerably.

I appreciate and understand that about templates, but none suited my needs and I already have a site, www.envirosnowmelt.com that was started from scratch with the now defunct Front Page.
    I thought this program would be a lot more intuitive and friendly than it is. Nothing is really working for me here and I've had to delete several attempts.

I don't see a way to change the color of text from black.
    With the text selected pick a colour from the colour line at the bottom of the screen and select fill colour [and line colour if needed. Also, you can click on the colour swatch to the left of the eye-dropper
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

How about
    http://support.xara.com/ (Tutorials?)

You Tube has some stuff too
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...a+web+designer

I'm in the same boat coming off of FrontPage and getting started also.

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle Warrior View Post
    I appreciate and understand that about templates, but none suited my needs and I already have a site, www.envirosnowmelt.com that was started from scratch with the now defunct Front Page.
    I thought this program would be a lot more intuitive and friendly than it is. Nothing is really working for me here and I've had to delete several attempts.
    With all due respect, IMO your current site has no "design" at all - it's just text on a page. You could create a much more professional looking site using a WD template and just copy & paste your current text onto the pages...

If you are going down this route, then i suggest you use Xara's File > Import from Web address ..., entering http://www.envirosnowmelt.com/ as your URL.
    At least you will get your graphics and text on a page and you can move them around until you have an idea of what you want.

Then upload into TG and I am sure some kind TGer will "template" your page.

If you are intending to use the web to promote sales, I would suggest you seek strong marketing advice too.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I agree with your assessment let'sgo, but that site as it is has been quite successful so I'm inclined toward if it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    Having said that, once I manage the basics of this or another program and get it online to replace the current one I'll then begin the process of making it much more professional.
    Meanwhile, I'm under the gun to get this done because my Web host, with whom I've been many years and am very happy, will soon no longer be supporting FrontPage sites.
    What is TG?