Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Australian Olive Oil Company

My landlords are olive oil producers and asked if I could put a site up for them as they are exporting small boutique style olive oil bottles to Japan and they needed a web presence. I might have knocked this one up a little too quickly and may have missed some things, so any suggestions and criticisms are appreciated. www.australianoliveoilcompany.com.au
    I will be back in 10 days (heading to the other side of Oz) so will make any suggested changes when I return. Thanks. Abi
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Australian Olive Oil Company

That's a very nice site Abi, I like the slideshows you do on your sites. Beautiful photos.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Beautiful site, really good colours and the photos are stunning, really well done. And you are so lucky to have your workplace at an olive grove.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Very nice site! Love the colors and layout. Gorgeous photos too! A+

I like the site generally, but I don't think that the colour pallette matches the product - light olive oil and a dark, heavy background.

If your client needs a web presence because of the Japanese market, why isn't the site also in Japanese?

Paul

Thanks everyone for your comments. With regard to the dark background, that was at the request of my landlords. Below is the original website I made them, with the colours reflecting the olives, and the olive oil (I optimised the photos to reduce the size of the file to upload onto the forum, so pics are a bit pixelated). They wanted the site to be different from the one I made - larger, and dark so I made a new one which they are delighted with (although I think the first one was nicer - just needed a bit of tweaking with the layout). With regards to it being in Japanese, they did not have the $2,105 spare to pay for a Japanese translator to translate the website, and using an online translation tool does a very bad job, so the site is only in English. They have been selling in Japan for 4 years, but have not ever had a website.

GV_10_11.webGV_10_11.web
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Quote Originally Posted by Abikadabra View Post
    Thanks everyone for your comments. With regard to the dark background, that was at the request of my landlords. Below is the original website I made them, with the colours reflecting the olives, and the olive oil (I optimised the photos to reduce the size of the file to upload onto the forum, so pics are a bit pixelated). They wanted the site to be different from the one I made - larger, and dark so I made a new one which they are delighted with (although I think the first one was nicer - just needed a bit of tweaking with the layout). With regards to it being in Japanese, they did not have the $2,105 spare to pay for a Japanese translator to translate the website, and using an online translation tool does a very bad job, so the site is only in English. They have been selling in Japan for 4 years, but have not ever had a website.

GV_10_11.webGV_10_11.web
    Thanks for the info. I'd probably have been heading to a more golden theme, to reflect the lightness of the oil and perhaps try and check out some japanese sites to get some cultural references. We'd have had a bit of an arm-wrestle about it!

Perhaps a Japanese student could have done the translation for a substantial discount!

I know from my own experience in Europe that taking the time to try and adapt to the local culture and language helps no end. I would think it's even more the case for Japan.

The customer is king, so great job!

Beautiful work Abi.

Paul, I think the dark is rich and tasty. Even if the oil is not.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Paul, I think the dark is rich and tasty.
    Yes, but now I'm thinking about coffee or dark chocolate.

I'm using a screen resolution of 1600 x 900 on my laptop and the content of the website is all below the fold. I think that's too much, having to scroll down to see even a single line of text.

I too think the colours are too dark. By all means use the colour of olives as a contrast, but I think to use it as your base colour is too dark. It's a mechanical, industrial colour and , for me anyway, doesn't invoke the wholesome, sun-drenched feeling of olive trees in full fruit.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.