Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Win7 64bit Question

A month or so ago my computer fell over dead, and I'm about to get another. My question is, will Xara Pro work with the 64bit version of Win7? And can anyone think of any other caveats? I want to transfer my Plextor burner and the DVD player, plus a 1.0 USB external drive to the machine from my 32bit IDE sys.
    Thanks.
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: Win7 64bit Question

I use win7 64-bit just fine with Xara products.

Take care, Mike

Thanks Mike, appreciate the very quick response.
    Giddyup

I'm on Win7 64bit, too. No issues.

Hi,
    The only thing I have found with Windows 7 Premium 64Bit is that if you have to install olde plugins or older drivers sometimes windows doesn't recognise the installers.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Hi,
    The only thing I have found with Windows 7 Premium 64Bit is that if you have to install olde plugins or older drivers sometimes windows doesn't recognise the installers.
    Jim
    Precisely the reason I asked for caveats. Thanks for that; was wondering about drivers for my two DVD drives, and I understand USB 2.0 is backwards compatible.

Hi,
    Just to clarify I have a few older 'plugins' Eyecandy and W7 won't let me install as per the unrecognized installer..but sometimes if I have access to older machine I can transfer the plugin directory over and the programs will recognize them
    As for hard ware you may have to have your motherboard 'Cmos' recognize the hard ware first. I have a Lacie external hard drive that I had to set cmos to reognize first before windows picked it up.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

My wife's Lacie was seen right off on her new Win7 64-bit system. I think we picked up the Lacie 3 years ago iirc.

When my old Sony laptop died, the only thing usable was the IDE drive. I use it for an external back up with the new Toshiba Win 7 laptop connected via a USB1 box that holds the drive. No problems there.

The MS site can be searched for compatible hardware if in doubt or if there is concern whether a particular device is compatible right off with Win 7.

Take care, Mike

I've been happily using it on Win7 for nearly 2 years now. The only thing I ran into was that the DLL for the icon thumbnail wasn't properly registered, and had to do it manually (there's a couple of threads about it on here), but I believe that can be avoided by running the install program as admin.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com