Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default White line around exported jpeg

This is probably a ridiculously simple thing. I have just started with Xara Photo and Graphic designer 7, and gone through the vids. I am finally acknowledging that Adobe Image Styler (my sweet baby!) is going to have to be given up. Coming from that, I am finding Xara more challenging to use.

When I save an image (jpeg), it exports with a tiny white line around it. I am trying to make a gradient image for a website, and need the edges to blend when I have it repeated (background image).

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks so much ^_^

Default Re: White line around exported jpeg

Welcome to TalkGraphics Lily Rose

One thing that came up recently is this. Did you apply any Live Effects with the Live Effects Tool? This can cause an outline.

The other and more frequent problem is if your image is not in even pixels amount and if the image is not on an even pixel location, Xara anti-aliases the image to the nearest who pixel amount using your page background for blending the image and if you page background is white, this outline will be white.

I'll post a screen shot in a moment to show you what I am talking about.

Hi Lily Rose and welcome to TalkGraphics

Make sure that your gradient object is sized and positioned on the canvas in whole pixels, then try your export again. XPGD7 anti-aliases on export, and fractional pixels will produce the kind of thin line you're seeing.

Allison

OK Mr. Dude is back.

The first attachment shows the size and location of an image on the page. Any amount that is not in even pixels (picture elements) will cause XPGD to fuzz the edges. This is also true if an image does not sit on the page at an even pixel address.

If your units are set to something other than pixels, inches for example, you will not be able to see this.

The second attachment shows the grid and ruler settings you should be using. In the Units tabbed section set your Page units to Pixels.

Another trick you can try, is place a colored rectangle behind the image you are tying to export and make this rectangle the same color as the web page background. Select the image but not the rectangle and export. If there is any softness around the edges, the image will blend to the background color and as such you will not see a white outline.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	non-even pixels.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	88247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	options.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	88248  

Please pardon my ignorance concerning P&GD--I guess I should have downloaded it when Magix was offering the past version for free...

In XDP, anytime I am purposefully making an image for a web site, I use the Blank Photo template. Does this exist in P&GD?

If so, I think I have better success regardless of whole pixels using it. In the screen shot below, I made the start using the Blank Photo template. Exported as a PNG. I then began a new drawing in XDP, created the colored background, imported the star PNG. There is nothing about the star that is whole pixels, add to that the angles. There is no issue at all.

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	88249  

Thank you for the welcome!

I created a rectangle, made it 100px wide, 15px high. Added the color #140000. Used the gradient tool from left to right, making the right side pale out. Then I used the side handles to make it a little longer. Following that, I exported as jpeg and placed in in my webpage sidebar. It was not exactly the look I was going for

Some of what was said went flying by my head. But I have set my units to pixels now. I am going to try the background trick. I didn't know you could select which as aspect to export. Wish me luck!

^_^

add on: The background trick didn't work ... I'll keep trying variations.
    Last edited by Lily Rose; 23 March 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Name:  sidebar.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  777 Bytes

Like this? Other than a bit dark, does your image look like this?

Mike

Lily

Can you post your image here? Press the Go Advanced button (next to the Post Quick Reply button), then scroll down to Manage Attachments. Press Browse and select your image, press Open then press the Upload button and Close This Window.

In XDP, anytime I am purposefully making an image for a web site, I use the Blank Photo template. Does this exist in P&GD?
    Yes Mike. Same as Designer Pro. File > New > Blank Photo.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Name:  sidebar.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  777 Bytes

Like this? Other than a bit dark, does your image look like this?

Mike
    Yes! Exactly what I am trying to do! But when I Export as Jpeg, the white around it appears.

Name:  gradientbar1.jpg
Views: 1198
Size:  670 Bytes[QUOTE=gwpriester;436653]Lily

Can you post your image here? Press the Go Advanced button (next to the Post Quick Reply button), then scroll down to Manage Attachments. Press Browse and select your image, press Open then press the Upload button and Close This Window.

Giving this a try ... thanks for your patience, this forum format is new to me. ^_^

After seeing this, I realized I tried the background thing and saved it the same .... I don't know how to delete a reply, so Ill just send another when I get it saved again.