Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Released: A New Version of Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by gracehjs View Post
    Actually you don't lose out on anything by buying "Version 12" - that has the improvements from 11 and you get to keep the bug fixes regardless. After a year, you can choose whether you want to buy "Version 13" or not. You haven't lost anything from what you would have without a subscription.
    Grace, for v11, I continue to this moment to have access to the on-line resources that I will lose for v12 in a year's time. After that, I will not be able to search for the resources that I have used and downloaded. Neither will you in v12, in guarantee periods, to be off-line and search for the same. To keep the type of functionality I have got for v11, I have to re-subscribe.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

As I stated in another thread, to satisfy the wary, Xara should simply offer two versions, one as per the previous method - purchase the upgrade and receive no new features afterwards; the other for the subscription method with the pitfall of potentially losing any new features issued in the 365 days following renewal should one not renew and then having to reinstall Xara. For the same price!

I'll go for the advance on the new features and decide after a year if they are worth locking in by renewing. And, I'll download all of the content in the meantime.

John

Mmmh, it could be considered as a beta access of the next version?

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    As I stated in another thread, to satisfy the wary, Xara should simply offer two versions, one as per the previous method - purchase the upgrade and receive no new features afterwards; the other for the subscription method with the pitfall of potentially losing any new features issued in the 365 days following renewal should one not renew and then having to reinstall Xara. For the same price!

I'll go for the advance on the new features and decide after a year if they are worth locking in by renewing. And, I'll download all of the content in the meantime.

John
    The two offerings is the method Corel used successfully. But in their scheme, the advance access cost an additional $99 dollars a year. Features were included, as well as content.

My first thought on the 365 thingy is this. I have a client with a Xara website that decides they want a change. I go to change it and POOF, the feature I need is gone due to not updating. Am I just in high drama mode or is this possible? Couldn't this affect websites already published that need some editing?

Quote Originally Posted by richinri View Post
    My first thought on the 365 thingy is this. I have a client with a Xara website that decides they want a change. I go to change it and POOF, the feature I need is gone due to not updating. Am I just in high drama mode or is this possible? Couldn't this affect websites already published that need some editing?
    Right on all points. Entirely possible and indeed quite likely. I should be absolutely clear - it only goes "poof" if your configuration changes and a re-install is required, otherwise that feature will still be there. Not updating doesn't automatically lose you program features - they are only lost if you must re-install.
    Last edited by pauland; 29 April 2016 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Right on all points. Entirely possible and indeed quite likely. I should be absolutely clear - it only goes "poof" if your configuration changes and a re-install is required, otherwise that feature will still be there. Not updating doesn't automatically lose you program features - they are only lost if you must re-install.
    I realise that the 'new' features can't be kept in some way if you re-install after your sub. to 365 has ended, but is there a way of backing up on to DVD the 'Design Gallery' content i.e. navbars, clipart and themes etc.? I have ordered the backup DVD with this upgrade as it was made clear previously in posts by Kate Moir that the DVD will include all the current V12 Design Gallery content after you have downloaded it all. My thoughts are that if in the future I decided not to purchase the backup DVD, is there a way of copying the content and burning it to a DVD yourself. I have tried to spot the gallery files in the programme but can't see where they go after downloading, are they hidden to prevent us from doing it, if not, can someone please tell me where they are, cheers. I'm sure it would be useful to know for many that may have to re-install after their subscription has lapsed.

@Jacobitejake,

This has been covered a few times, I believe, in this thread and others on the same topic of the new subscription method.
    Here is one way. Click on the Designs Gallery tab. Click on a folder, like the first one, Introduction. Right-click, Download all.

See #158 for an example of downloading from the new online content.
    Last edited by browj2; 30 April 2016 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    @Jacobitejake,

This has been covered a few times, I believe, in this thread and others on the same topic of the new subscription method.
    Here is one way. Click on the Designs Gallery tab. Click on a folder, like the first one, Introduction. Right-click, Download all.

See #158 for an example of downloading from the new online content.
    I'm afraid you have not fully read and understood my post, I'm not talking about downloading the resources to the design gallery, I'm talking about backing them up on to DVD after I've downloaded them, I'm unable to see where in the programme files, on the hard drive, they are?

ae you saying they are not held in the same place as version 11?

for example, for designer pro verson 11 you could try looking in:

......AppData\Local\Xara\XtremePro\11\Cache\......

where AppData is a hidden file in your user name folder on your system disk

but I am not sure if this is what you mean as I don't use them - plus I do not know if, having saved them, it is then a simple matter to re-install them offline
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...